Athlon 64 FX-51 vs. Apple G5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Athlon 64 FX-51 vs. Apple G5

Yea, yea... I know I've been posting a lot of computer stuff lately, but this is kinda interesting:

There's a lot of pages to that review, but the end is the most interesting. In most of the test, the dual CPU G5 had a tough time keeping up with the single-processor FX-51.

While I do respect Apple, and think their products are pretty friggin' cool, at least in design and usability, they shouldn't claim the G5 is the world's fastest personal computer. They really do kick ass in the photoshop tests, though... Maybe it's that other processor that helps?

Any Mac fans out there? Is this test biased towards the PCs in some way? I always find these benchmarks really interesting.
    Dan
    dreesemonkey

processor benchmarking is almost always biased toward one CPU/platform over another

I don't even know how you can compare 2 systems running completely different operating systems without taking account the quality of OS's coding underneith

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

A plus too with Mac (not that I have one) is the lowered chances of getting viruses. Those who make them want to affect the majority of PC users so Mac users are spared. On the flipside, if I see something funny here on this site or at work and want to share it with my folks, my dad's computer won't pull it up. He just gets a bunch of weird symbols.
      2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
      KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
      Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
      Groundkit

Comment

hmmm I've never had that problem misterT....mine at school and work always worked fine together.... what OS is he running? it may be that cuz we are running OSX Jaguar

Comment

Originally posted by ZoomZoomH
          processor benchmarking is almost always biased toward one CPU/platform over another

I don't even know how you can compare 2 systems running completely different operating systems without taking account the quality of OS's coding underneith
          This isn't processor benchmarking perse, it's real world apps with real world situations.

OF COURSE you can compare the G5 and the FX-51 in this test. They both have the 'latest and greatest' OSes, and are running the exact same programs. Are they coded differently? Of course they are, but it's comparing the 'best' each manufacturer has on the most popular or newest of their respective OSs, with the same featured software (abeit coded differently).

It's basically #1 computer from Windows world vs. #1 computer from the Apple world, and test them using the same avaliable software on both. Which one is faster? That is completely logical to me!
          Dan
          dreesemonkey

Comment

the 64 bit athlon is much faster then the mac well acording to my hacker buddies
            i is dumb

Comment

Originally posted by asylum24
              hmmm I've never had that problem misterT....mine at school and work always worked fine together.... what OS is he running? it may be that cuz we are running OSX Jaguar
              He is using the MacOS (whatever the latest is).
              2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
              KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
              Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
              Groundkit

Comment

im running a DP533 g4 on osx10.2.something

i like my mac more than any of the pcs i have owned
                Last edited by 5SpeedSER; 10-17-2003, 01:42 PM.
                1988 Toyota Celica Alltrac Turbo
                2002 Mazda Protege5

Comment

Working...
                X