speaker grills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speaker grills

I posted this on protegeclub.com too but didn't get much help there.

I put 6.5s in my rear doors and like what I've got with the door panels off but when I put them on the sound is too dead. Of coarse there's no grill there so I can understand this. My ideal choice is a pair of tan grills from the front doors but the junkyards around my house will only sell me the whole door panel and I'm not into 100 bucks a pop for somethin that I only want the grill off of.

Anybody know where to get some grills or something that I can cut up? I've been searching ebay for quite some time but nothing interesting has come up. Anybody wanna sell something or have some panels/grills they wanna put a price on?

I've also thought about checking into the price of a rear shelf and cutting the 6x9 grills to fit what I want. I haven't made it back to a junkyard to ask them how much that would cost me.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
    Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
    I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

i'm not sure exactly what you mean, but if you only need speaker grills, your's should have come with them. if you don't have them, you could check with a local shop to see if they'll sell you some girlls

Comment

They did come with grills. I want a stock look in a non-stock place. Hince wanting the front speaker grills. Will a shop be able to match the color and not charge me to the sky?

Here's what I did....
      I cut the sheet metal in the rear doors to fit in my set of Infinity's. After running the wires, trimming the panel and getting everything to fit, I now need something to allow the sound to pass through the panel. I could use the supplied grill but that would look out of place because all of my speakers aren't the same brand, as you can tell from my sig.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>

Comment

hmmm, if you want the cheapest way to do it, get some paint that matches your interior and paint the grills that you have

Comment

You or anybody else wouldn't happen to know what that color might be do you?

For a tan interior? please...hopefully?

Comment

just out of curiousity was there a speaker harness there or did you run your own wiring to the back doors? i was thinking about putting some speakers in there

2003 Sunlight Silver ES 5 Speed
            www.cardomain.com/id/bigwoo23

There seems to be an epidemic in MI, everyone seems to think that painting your car isn't cool anymore, and people drive around with more primer than paint. What is the world coming to?

Comment

The power is coming from my amp.
              I ran a wire just like a stock wire. It comes from the amp, under the seat, down under the door sill, up the seat belt pillar, and through the rubber wire grommet(whatever it's called) along with all the other wires.
              I used a coat hanger for my fish tape because it's shorter and eaiser to work with than a full fish tape. The wiring was the easy part. Cutting the hole was a beooch.
              I'd have to say that it's worth it but I just need some dag on grills to make it finished.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaMania
                You or anybody else wouldn't happen to know what that color might be do you?

For a tan interior? please...hopefully?

your best bet is to take your front grill into a paint shop, and have them custom blend the paint to match it my friend did that to get some high quality autotmotive exterior paint, and used it on some interior parts, and it came out nice

Comment

Where could I get this done? What place does this? I've heard of it before somewhere but I don't recall any of the places they were talking about.

Comment

Grilles are not going to affect the SOUND of your speakers.

If they sound like **** for some reason, they'll sound the same with grilles in place.

~HH

Comment

They don't sound bad I just need to be able to hear the sound. If you've got a boom box outside, do you hear it better through the closed window or through the window screen better? This is the best example I can think of, not make sound dumb.

These are the rear doors that don't have grills in them. I need the sound to pass through a grill instead of right through the panel.

Comment

Oh - ok.

I thought you had holes, and wanted to COVER them with a grille!! :D

Sorry if I insulted ya' there!

An idea for you:

Take the door panel, and cut out a piece of it. Make a nice cut - not ragged. Also create a shape you like. Maybe a large hole saw wold work well if you want a perfect circle.

Then, drill a bunch of holes in the piece you just cut out. Neatness is good, but doesn't really count.

Now wrap the piece with grillecloth. You can find places online to buy grillecloth, though many fabric stores will have something similar. Any thin stretchy cloth will do - and use a color that looks good in your car (braown, tan, etc).

Now neatly glue the cutouts back into the doors. You could also bolt them in place if you wanted - just use a "tab" of wood or metal (three per door oughtta do it) behind the cutout, to give you something to screw into. Bolt it neatly, and it'll look good in an "industrial" kind of way.

Hope you get what I'm driving at. Good luck!

~HH

Comment

Hihoslva...that's a thought. I haven't thought about something like that. I think I know what you mean by speaker cloth. I think I've got it figured out now. Anybody still know where to get paint to match?
                          Nah, I'm not insulted at all. I just wanted you to understand what I've got goin on so I could get my question answered. I've got a stock door panel right now. I just wanna make all my work worth while!!

Comment

Working...
                          X