98 Protege H.u Install Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

98 Protege H.u Install Help!!!

Does anyone know how to take off the original head unit from a 98 protege...I've been looking at these forums for hours and couldnt find out how to remove it. Is there some kind of clip that is secretly hidden? I didnt see any screws nor clips that will allow me to get to the stock HU....Can someone please help me out???

You'll probably have to take out the whole surrounding dash section to get at it... I don't have one so I can't check for you though.

Comment

there is a trim panel that needs to be removed

then i believe there might be 2 covers on the sides of the deck... snap those off and you will have 4 holes
      you need a special tool that goes in these four holes, and then pulls the deck out... you're gonna need to go to an audio shop with it all prepared, and hopefully they spend 10 seconds and snap it out for you

i did this 3 years ago, so hopefully im right... cause i barely remember

Comment

is that the only way possible?....any pics will help out a lot...thanks pigeon

Comment

Crap. I would help, but when I got my car it already had an Alpine CD player installed. Can anyone take pics of that stuff so we can have a reference for all the 2nd gen owners? That would be great.

Comment

where the circles are, thats where you'd find clips
            theres more along the edges, as well as more down by the cigarette lighter

in the OEM deck, there will be two little covers where the arrows are pointing
            those need to be removed

once you remove it each corner will have a hole
            the special tool inserts a prong in each hole, and then unlocks it... and then the deck can slide out

be nice to that trim panel tho, you dont want to break it...
            Attached Files

Comment

Okay, I see. Well, I've removed that trim panel before. You have to pull it hard because the clips are very stiff. Like Chris said there are plastic clips holding it, so you have to be careful not to break them. Make sure you unplug the cigarette lighter if you want to put that trim piece away.

Comment

thanks a lot guys..i just installed my HU and it looks nice...thanks for the pics and the help! =)

Comment

Congrats! Show us pictures.

Comment

no prob, let us see!

Comment

Working...
                    X