Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gtx / Gtr interchangeablility

A few quick questions:

1.)Is it possible to run a GTR turbo using a GTX ecu ?
    2.) Is there anything to be gained from using a GTR ecu instead of the Gtx one on a Gtx motor with a vj20?
    3.)Are the exhaust manifolds interchangeable between the vj20 and the vj23? I think not, but just want to make sure.

Thanks
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Anyone???
    '91 LX

well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

1. I'd think you'd be able to use the GTR turbo with the GTX ecu, but I'm not sure.
      2. Probably not
      3. It would have been more cost effective for mazda to make one exhaust mani they both use... I haven't heard that the exhaust mani was different

Sorry I can't be more helpful

Dan
      dreesemonkey

Comment

"The exhaust manifold has individual tracts collecting at the turbocharger entry. These tracts are in two groups; the tracts from cylinders 1 and 4 are routed to the center, and those from cylinders 2 and 3 to the outside. This routing allows nearly equal tract length. The complex manifold is made of cast ferrite steel, for which the lost-form casting method is employed. Not only is this about 20 percent lighter, much stronger and its passages much smoother than a conventional cast iron one, but also its surface finish is much smoother."

According to this the exhaust manifolds are in fact different in design, but what I need to know is if they are still interchangeable.....
        '91 LX

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
          "The exhaust manifold has individual tracts collecting at the turbocharger entry. These tracts are in two groups; the tracts from cylinders 1 and 4 are routed to the center, and those from cylinders 2 and 3 to the outside. This routing allows nearly equal tract length. The complex manifold is made of cast ferrite steel, for which the lost-form casting method is employed. Not only is this about 20 percent lighter, much stronger and its passages much smoother than a conventional cast iron one, but also its surface finish is much smoother."

According to this the exhaust manifolds are in fact different in design, but what I need to know is if they are still interchangeable.....
          Go here, it has pictures of the vj-20 next to the vj-23. The designs are similar but they look a bit different. Im not sure about interchangeability though.

main page
          2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

1) you can use a gtr turbo with the gtx ecu, but you will need a piggy back to accomadate the extra fuel needed. 15 lbs boost form a gtx <> 15 lbs boost GTR.

2)you'd be running to rich in boost

3) exhaust manifolds are interchangeable. barely any differnce
            Patrick Sean-Tiu Santiago

Current state:240 whp and 215.6 ft/lbs torque
            FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
            Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Project323
              3) exhaust manifolds are interchangeable. barely any differnce
              Sorry to bring up an old thread but now that I have both of them side by side, the manifolds are not interchangeable and there's a huge difference between the two.
              '91 LX

Comment

Working...
              X