The easy way...the best way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The easy way...the best way?

I've been detailing cars since I was about 8 years old...thanks to my father. When I was 16, my first car (1984 Chevy Spectrum) was the cleanest car in the state of Connecticut, no joke. Anyway...to this day my father and I talk about car care products. The variety of brands and products are virtually endless. It's even come to point to put a water filter on your damn hose to avoid using a shamee to dry your car off. Personally I haven't tried it so I'm not going to critisize it. But it is lazy.
    As far as the tires... Almost any tire shine these days tell you to spray it on and walk away. Do that and you're guarunteed an uneven mess, no matter what "setting" the nozzle is on. From my recent personal experiece, the aerosol cans (ie Meguire's Hot Tire Shine and Nxt Generation Insane shine) put one bad ass shine on your tires. Lightly sprayed on clean tires makes the tires look like they have a sheet of plastic wrap fitted just for your tire. Perfect for a car show or strictly just admiration.
    BUT...drive your car one time on dry pavement and look at your tires. They look like poo! And if it's windy outside...forget about it! Everything from sand to grass will stick. The stuff NEVER dries. Silicone is not meant to dry...its a lubricant.
    The same goes for the clear stuff too (ie Black Magic Tire Shine, Tire Wet, etc.)
    They'll make tires look real good but after the spin off, they look like poo!
    I've tried almost everything to make my '00 Pro look the best. Here's what I do..
    Reguardless of what you have on your tires now. Get a ---TIRE FOAM---.
    Do not spray in directly on your tires. Find yourself an old rag. Just for your tires. If you don't want foam in you treads, to prevent spin-off, let the foam soak in the rag. You gotta rub this stuff IN your tires. Repeat as necessary.
    After a couple coats, the tires will be black and shiny with no excess in the lettering, which means no spin-off and no mess.
    If you can bend down to spray your tires, you should be able to use a little elbow grease to apply this stuff by hand.

INteresting.

I presonally use the meguires foaming spray on stuff. If you let it sit for a few minutes All the foam soaks in and it looks pretty good for a week or so.

Comment

I definitely prefer foam over the new stuff they got out now.
      My motivation for writing that was...I pulled into work this morning. This guy must have washed his car last night at midnight or something. He sprayed his tire stuff on his radials. Didn't even come close to where the tire was meeting the road. He's got a big dull area where it all missed. Amazing how some don't care. I'd rather not clean it all than to have it look that bad!
      Last edited by ks2527; 06-23-2005, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ks2527
        I definitely prefer foam over the new stuff they got out now.
        My motivation for writing that was...I pulled into work this morning. This guy must have washed his car last night at midnight or something. He sprayed his tire stuff on his radials. Didn't even come close to where the tire was meeting the road. He's got a big dull area where it all missed. Amazing how some don't care. I'd rather not clean it all than to have it look that bad!
        I couldn't agree more. If I am goning to clear her, I like to give her a good scrub and not just a once over that makes you look like you dont give a crap.
        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

well i guess we know who to ask when we need advice on cleaning and products!

Comment

I'll take that as a compliment. I happen to take much pride in my cars!

Comment

it was a compliment! lol

what do you think of the mr clean autodry..
              my brother had it and i was watching him use it, and it looked pretty cool

i couldnt see myself investing in one, still doesent quite seem worth it
              not to mention you have to use special soap and special filters
              kinda proprietory

Comment

I'm sure it works well. It's all about the different companies making money. Those filters are not cheap, I'm sure. I'll take the ten minutes to dry with the shamee!!
                Have you tried the Meguire's Nxt Generation Tech Wax? Gotta give that 5 out of 5 stars. No annoying dust while wiping it off. Beautiful reflection. I got at least 3 people at work asking me what wax I use. It makes that much of a difference!

Comment

Post some pics of your clean ride

Comment

Yeah I wanna see pics man and I'm getting the autodry soon so I'd let y'all know how it works!

Comment

i've seen my brothers in action... seems expensive to operate... but it does infact work well

Comment

The Mr Clean Autodry system is just like the hose filters. You put a filter on the end of the hose that filters out the minerals in your water to avoid hard water spotting.

In response to the original post, I prefer a tire gel. Always applied by hand with a foam applicator of course. There's really no other way to do it with a gel. Put it on thin and you won't get any sling, and it gets absorbed into the sidewall, which allows it to last a long time, often through several washes.
                        5spd Maxima SE - SOLD
                        '99 Protege LX 5spd, silver

Comment

Working...
                        X