New tires = crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tires = crap

So i went to town fair tire to get some tires. Skipped on the yokohamas and got some Dunlop Direzza DZ101's in what you guys told me to get for a size which was 205/50/15. Well umm with their 35 lbs of air or even upto 45 lbs of air the tire feels like it rolls over itself on tight turns and not to mention handles worse then the crappy kelly tires i had on the front half worn and the firestone 3/4s worn in the back. So i'm thinking 205 = bad in my case because it goes on the outside of the rim. Ideas? I'm taking them back tomorrow and i think i'm gonna go with the yokohama's in 195/55/15 just because this really f'in sucks!
    **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
    95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

I'm not sure what the problem is but according to standard wheel/tire charts, a 205/50 tire can be accomodated on any rim width of 5.5"-7.5". If you do switch to a 195 tire, consider a 50 rather than a 55 aspect ratio as the 50 will provide more rigidity and less tire squirm than the 55.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

shoulda got the yokos... i have never had a problem like that, and i keep mine at 35psi
      sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
      92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Well i had 195/60 before and they were alot better then these are currently. And i think only 195/55 is available for the yokohamas but i'm not sure. Also i realized something. These tires have some strong "curb protector" on the edges. Its basicly a bump of thick rubber. Well i'm wondering if thats creating that weird roll over feeling?! hmmmmmmmm
        **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**

Comment

I checked the Yokohama website. It lists a 195/50-15 tire size in the AVS ES 100 series.

Happy Motoring!
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

Well the other problem is that it made my car feel kind of "sluggish" ie slower acceleration. Does a smaller wall make it feel that way or was it because its wider?

Comment

A lower aspect ratio sidewall (as in going from a 60 to a 50) will definitely NOT make the car feel more sluggish. Conceivably, going to a super wide tread width could cause some sluggishness in acceleration, if for no other reason than the increase in weight or the size of the contact patch, but I doubt very much going from a 195/60 to a 205/50 would have that kind of effect unless the new tire size is substantially heavier than that of the old one. The lower sidewall and the wider tread should only have positive results in terms of handling and responsiveness. As I said earlier, I can't account for the poor results you're getting.

Happy Motoring!
              Last edited by goldstar; 06-24-2005, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Well as of now i'm getting the yokohama 195/50s on monday... I'm covering myself both ways just incase it is the tire going over the rim from being too wide as well!

Comment

you do realize that your speedo is going to be off by nearly 7 mph?

Comment

Minor detail! =) So when i'm speeding i really won't be that will not be a bad thing since less chances of getting pulled over anyways!

Comment

Just my opinion dunlop = sidewall flex. They same problem exists with Toyo. I usually go toyo but the best tires I have ever owned where Potenza RE750 with UNI-T

If I where you I'd stick to bridgstone or firestone tires if you want quality. Plus they are excellent if you want that sexy euro style streched tire look. You drifters know what I'm talking about.
                      www.gopostal.com

If NISMO stands for NISsan MOtorsports . . . . Does HOMO stand for HOnda MOtorsports ?

Comment

Your damn right on the sidewall flex! Its horrible even with 40 psi! So like i said they are going back on monday and i'm getting the yokohama es 100s. Do you think the Potenza's are better then the es 100s?

Comment

I have poteznas and I like them...
                          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

which potenza's? there are a bunch of different kinds, RE92s are rocks, while S-03s are extremely good.

Comment

I've got a set of Kumho Ecsta 711's (came with the car, I use them for summer) and I bought a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's for the winter....both are 195/50/15.. No real complaints about either set, but the Kumhos are sticky enough to really let me know my original struts and springs (107k miles) are pretty shot. the inside front tire hops a bit turning a corner at 25mph.
                              Please sponsor me for the American diabetes association Tour de Cure.
                              http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...383&px=3361088
                              together, we can find a cure for Diabetes!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X