Turbohoses SMIC/Hardpipes +Injen CAI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbohoses SMIC/Hardpipes +Injen CAI

I had recently purchased and installed these parts on my MSP ($1000). The Injen CAI and Turbohoses Hardpipes were both purchased used from members on msprotege for $175 and $212 shipped respectively. The hardpipes are paired with a used greddy type s bov ($100 shipped). The car is currently running at 6psi spiking to 7 psi.

Currently, I have a dual stock Bpv/bov setup. In my first setup, I had the bov tapped into the stock bpv/wastegate vac lines. This setup produced a slight turkey when quick shifting at high Rpms. I spent 2-3 hours road testing different adjustments with the greddy bov, but there were always some turkey left.

In my second setup, I took the advice of Rich (505zoom on msprotege) and ran a delicated vac source from the bpv to the brake booster and similarly with the greddy bov. The wastegate has a single fuel line, untapped. This setup produced better spool up time and it a bit more responsive. In addition the turkey is completely gone, except for the rare low boost flutter that is an inherent characteristic of the type s bov.

The Injen CAI just sounds great, but I didn't notice any performance differences between the stock versus the cai. I think a short ram intake will probably produce better spool time and the turbohoses smic should take care of the extra temperature difference.

The turbohoses smic is a good upgrade compared to the stock smic. The fitment is good and the installation is much simpler than installing a fmic. Just don't expect this upgrade to drastically increase the whp of your car. With stock boost, this upgrade keeps the car running great in hot long drives. The car no longer feels boggy or weak in hot summer days.

Hopefully my mini-review is somewhat helpful.

so the low boost flutter is common with a type s BOV?

Comment

I heard it was fairly common after searching thru different forums, but it can be tuned out.

Comment

there are 2 places where vacuum lines can be hooked up...

what is the bottom one for?
        my instructions came in japanese...

Comment

Most people cap the bottom one. By hooking both vac ports up (bottom one is from a different source-unclear where though), it'll make it easier for the valve to move back up. You'll probably get less flutter and better response time, but the only trade off is the sound will be softer.

It's hard to find a good write up.

Comment

i looked into it and it seems like the little port hooks up to a place that see's positive pressure even when the larger one see's vacuum... it apparently helps response time and fixes the flutter, like you said

thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X