carputer installed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carputer installed!

got my carputer installed last night.... I'll take pictures when I get home tonight, because, I agree.... this thread is useless without pics

733 MHz Via C3
    256 MB PC-133 memory
    40 GB Seagate hard drive
    some generic cd burner
    M1-ATX carpc power supply from mp3car.com
    --- and ---
    coming soon: PSOne screen! (just gotta wire up my voltage regulator to supply its wonky as hell 7.5V that it requires.

it'll all be running on a very light install of Gentoo Linux, with fluxbox for a window manager.

as you can see, it's not particularly powerful, but it wasn't particularly expensive either... I'm gonna use it for a digital dashboard, because I'm too poor to afford gauges, and digital dashboards are so hardcore. I'll use it for tuning my Megasquirt'n'spark when I put it together.

I'll get pics later....
    Ask me about engine management!

cool. I would like to do this some day. How much did the setup run you. What programs are the for mega squirt and linux?

Comment

megatunix

I was originally planning to port the program myself and then I noticed it already WAS ported

the computer I have had for a while now, and cost me about 300 bucks total for parts, the power supply cost 75 bucks, the PSone screen about 40 dollars shipped... wires and connectors maybe about 15 bucks?

I dunno, I've lost track, it's cheap though

Comment

i will have to consider doing something like this for my mega squirt! And now i will have to check out megatunix. Thanks for the info. Oh and btw i use gentoo on my desktop great Distro if you ask me.

Comment

I sorta have to use it on my computer

dual opterons doesn't lend itself to easy usage with other distros... but I use gentoo on all my boxes so whatev

Comment

same here exept i got a just a single procsesor amd64 box and a webserver.

Comment

congrats mang.

bump for pics.
              The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

ask and ye shall recieve... (just got the screen installed today so I didn't take pictures until tonight)

screen (smaller than I thought it would look, but not bad for 40 bucks... using the hole where the A/C button normally goes to route the video cable and power to the screen... gotta wire that up):

the carputer itself (I pity the foo' who has to sit back there some time ):

the carputer's guts (using distribution blocks to route power to stuff)

gonna wire it up tomorrow, and hopefully have it working by the end of the day, to show off to my co-workers

Comment

more pics!

{edit} -- please excuse the grody looking tounge and teeth and stuff... I've been drinking coke for the last like.... 3 hours... why do you think I'm up at 1 in the morning working on my @#!%ing car?

Comment

interesting.
                    '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                    '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                    '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                    '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                    '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                    '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

nice.....

coke pwns j00.
                      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

no... it pwns my teeth... my DENTIST pwns me

Comment

very ghetto.

Comment

oh yeah.... to the extreme

Comment

Working...
                            X