Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabric paint on seats.

Hey all,

I got a set of MX-3 seats really cheap ($13.99 each), but like 99% of junkyard seats mine too are dirty as hell.

I plan on steam cleaning them, but I doubt it'll get all the **** out, and moreover they don't exactly match my interior color scheme.

Questions:

Can I use fabric paint to spray the seats?
    Is it a PITA to do?
    Should I worry about stains on my clothes from the painted seats?
    Am I better off paying to reupholster the seats?

never having tried to paint fabric of any kind, i can't really answer that question, but if it was me, i would just get them reupholstered, thats what I plan with my recaro's. but if you do paint, let me know how it works. ? wouldn't the paint wear down quick?
    proud owner of a 13lb 5 ounce porker baby boy. no longer the proud owner of the car below, it now belongs to 95pro.

Comment

I have no idea if the paint is going to wear out. That's why I posted here hoping someone with experience would know.

As for reupholstering... I'm afraid of the cost. Have no idea how much it costs.

Comment

stop by a shop on the way home and ask, two seats shouldn't be too bad.
        proud owner of a 13lb 5 ounce porker baby boy. no longer the proud owner of the car below, it now belongs to 95pro.

Comment

I bought some fabric paint to try this out along time ago, then I lost it. I was going to spray on a small hiden part and see how it lasts.
          1992 Mazda Protege LX w/Primer spots
          Plus new
          1991 Mazda Protege LX w/138,000mi

Comment

Originally posted by BPower
            I was going to spray on a small hiden part and see how it lasts.
            The problem with that is that you don't have the stress of someone sitting on it everyday to test how durable it is.

Comment

Well seeing as how your car is coming out pretty damn nicely, the best bet is going with upholstry. I doubt it'll be too much Try looking for fabrics or what not on the net. You know, like a sparco based fabric, or maybe even mazdaspeeds. I know it won't be official, but it might look nice.
              Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

Originally posted by Torped0
                Well seeing as how your car is coming out pretty damn nicely, the best bet is going with upholstry. I doubt it'll be too much Try looking for fabrics or what not on the net. You know, like a sparco based fabric, or maybe even mazdaspeeds. I know it won't be official, but it might look nice.
                You know how you are talking about you were going to spray them right, well why not take the fab off and die it first then sparay the spots that you couldnt get? That way itshould last a lot longer! I've thought about doing my back seats that way. If I do it I'll let you know how it turns out. Where did you get the spray paint from?
                DO WHAT YOU DO!!!

Comment

Uh no.. not me You must mean Intruder haha.
                  Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

don't use fabric paint. Take the covers off & wash them.

If they come out still looking like ass, you could try to wash them again w/a lot of bleach so they come out beige/white looking.

Then get some fabric DYE and soak them in it to whatever color you wish.

BUT that spray-on paint/dye **** they sell flakes off like crazy. You'll have bits of black (or whatever color you get) flaking off all over you ass and shirt and getting all over the interior of the car. It sux
                    93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                    02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                    05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Alright, that's cool. I won't paint them.

Gro, do you have pics of those black and red MX-3 seats? Someone (beachnut) had posted pics in another thread but the links are no longer valid. I'd like to see them, and possibly reupholster mine like that.

Comment

they are the blue/redish looking ones.

the black fades to blue. Just about every seat youll ever find at the jy will look navy blue or faded in appearance.
                        93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                        02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                        05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

I have brown and red MX-3 seats, if you want a picture of them...
                          Ask me about engine management!

Comment

Originally posted by Gro Harlem
                            they are the blue/redish looking ones.

the black fades to blue. Just about every seat youll ever find at the jy will look navy blue or faded in appearance.
                            Oh I see. I've seen those. Heh, I saw a pair of those last month at the J/Y and I was going to buy them, but when I went back they were gone! Last week I got the beige/red ones.

Matt, post the pic. I'd love to see it.

Comment

well I've painted a piece of my back seat and the color came out ok. But what i found out is that the paint drys hard. Making the texture feel rough!!! I'll post pics of it soon. But thats all I've found out so far about that fabric paint. (so far not good for long tirm)
                              DO WHAT YOU DO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X