Might get a Mazda 6!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might get a Mazda 6!!!

So my dad calls me and asks if I need to get a new car. Then he told me to let him know and he'll get one for me. I just graduated and the car I have is a hand me down, but it's still been good to me. Not interested in a all out sports car and plus my dad wouldn't get that for me. Looked at the other cars in the same price range and overall the 6 is at the top of my list.

I've had my eye on the Mazda 6 for a long time.
    Are there any major problems I should be aware of with the 6?
    How do you guys like the 6?

Here's the one I'm planning to get:
    GLACIER SILVER METALLIC
    GRAY Cloth

MAZDA6 s 5-Door, Sport Model $24,345
    Destination Fee $560
    220-hp 3L DOHC 24-valve V6-cylinder Standard
    Front-Wheel Drive Standard
    6-Spd Auto $950
    BOSE AUDIO & MOONROOF PKG $1,335
    EMISSIONS EQUIPMENT $100
    Total MSRP: $27,290*
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

get the manual!!! screw that slushbox crap.

Comment

I want to buy that special edition 3 with the carbon gray mica paint job. Loganss the mazda 6 sucks and you really get a whole lot more power with the 3 than with the six in terms of raw horsepower. The 6 has what 220. To get 220 from a V6 just really sucks. the 3 has 160 and is 4 cylinder. Also not to endorse dodge in any way or mistsubishi but the SRT4 pushes over 220 stock from a 4 and the lancer revolution pushes almost 300 from a 4. Hearing that may change your mind on that V6. It is really weak and for that price boggles my damn mind. Get a fully loaded 3 and you will still be paying a lot than $24,000 and I think your dad will like that a whole lot more. Peace.

Comment

lancer revolution? that's like some new thing right? the replacement for the evolution perhaps? oh, and subaru > mitsu.

Comment

Why are we comparing a turbocharged 4-cyl to a naturally aspirated V6?

220hp isn't class leading, but just even a few years ago, the Accord/Camry/Maxima were 190ish hp with their V6's. It's called "horsepower wars".
          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Sorry, 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII which pushes 276 HP.

Comment

My friend had two Mazda 6s last year. Her first one was complete crap, it was in the shop with tranny issues over 6 times (in 4 months) before Mazda gave them a new car. This one had similar problems, but they weren't nearly as bad. Hardly something I'd like to live with. They promptly traded it in on an STI.

I think you'd be ok because you mentioned the new 6spd auto. Mazda obviously knew the previous auto-tranny was a ****box if they abandon it only after two years. If you're dead set on auto, get the 6-spd... but I'd rather get the manual if I were you, but that's besides the point.

Tranny issues aside, it was a nice and comfy car. It wasn't real quick, so don't expect it to be ripping people up and down the highways.
              Dan
              dreesemonkey

Comment

little off topic...but isnt 276 the maximum output in japan...if you look at a bunch of japanese supercars specs you'll see they almost all are listed at 276....and yes, subie > mitsu

Comment

Again, WHY are we comparing a forced induction hi performance 4-cyl to a naturally aspirated V6?
                  Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by sanblaster1
                    I want to buy that special edition 3 with the carbon gray mica paint job. Loganss the mazda 6 sucks and you really get a whole lot more power with the 3 than with the six in terms of raw horsepower. The 6 has what 220. To get 220 from a V6 just really sucks. the 3 has 160 and is 4 cylinder. Also not to endorse dodge in any way or mistsubishi but the SRT4 pushes over 220 stock from a 4 and the lancer revolution pushes almost 300 from a 4. Hearing that may change your mind on that V6. It is really weak and for that price boggles my damn mind. Get a fully loaded 3 and you will still be paying a lot than $24,000 and I think your dad will like that a whole lot more. Peace.

The 3 is, like you said better. The 6 is a ford taurus with a different shape. My friend at work has got a 3, with the 2L not the 2.3L with the 160 and it goes.

Comment

i dunno what ppl do to the 6 to break it, but it's a solid car. I have one of each, i know. They are great cars, i wouldn't hesitate to buy another. IMHO, It's better looking than the 3.

the 3 does not have a 2.0L with 160hp, the 04's had 148hp and the 05's get 144hp. The 2.3L has 160hp.

A Taurus with a different shape...HAHAHAHA thats hilarious... have you seen a 6?

27k seems kinda high...our Wagon with all those add-ons was under 23K

Comment

So much misconception about the relationship between Mazda and Ford here.
                        Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

I think that both the 3 and 6 look nice with the sports package on both in my opinion. I take my comment back that the 6 sucks. I just think that for the price the 3 is a better option, but if your in it for the V6 than yeah, go with the 6.

Comment

personally, I'd rather have the 2.3L 3 hatch than the V6 6 liftback, if for nothing else than because of balance, while they're both front engine/front drive cars, the 3's weight distribution is closer to 50/50 than that of the 6s (don't read this wrong, I know they're both front biased, but the 3 has less of a front weight bias). that having been said, I think I'd wait for the MS3 to hit showrooms

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys.

As far as looks i think the 6 looks way better than the 3. I'd still perfer a 3 over a lot of other cars out there but it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

Forgot to mention this before but as of right now I don't plan on doing anything major to the 6. No racing, no engine mods, and no exterior mods (for at least five or so years). I learned how to drive manual last year but I'd rather get an auto and continue with my plans in the future to swap the 2nd gen engine n tranny from auto to manual.

HP isn't a top priority for me. I have a 2nd gen guys ... I get by w/ it's lack of speed so an increase to 220hp is more than enough for me. HP isn't everything anyways.

Those prices are straight from the website so I'm going to use those as an absolute max for the stuff that I want. Should be able to get a much better deal at the dealer (I hope)?
                              ED
                              '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
                              Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
                              WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

Working...
                              X