GTX and F series tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTX and F series tranny

I am doing a GTX swap into a 98 protege only problem is that the car is automatic and is an F series. Firstly will the engine and the tranny fit together and secondly what life can I expect from the tranny.
    Yes I know that I should get the 5spd G series from the 94 lx but in the mean time while I'm sourcing the parts I'll run this setup.
    Any help would be appreciated.

I'd say it would be less trouble to do the tranny conversion while everything is out of the car. Depending on how heavy footed you are, the auto tranny can last - but then whats the fun of a turbo car without a heavy foot?

Comment

true, true but parts are a little hard to come by right now. So you're saying that they can fit together.

Comment

Im sure it would work but the car will be hard to tune. If your going turbo you will need to run larger injectors and the stock ECU wont be able to compensate for the larger inj. GTX ecu wouldnt work since its mapped for a 5-speed. As said above your better off just doing the 5-speed swap now since everything will be out why do the job twice .
        hello 4g63 nice to meet you

Comment

that would be true if I was using the GTX ecu but I'm using a haltech. Thanks for the info it's like you said why double your work I think I'll wait until I can get the 5spd.

Comment

If you have the money for a Haltech, you should have the money to do a 5spd conv. Find a j/y tranny and then get all the underdash stuff and you will be set.
            BP-05 Turbo-Sold
            2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

get to a dyno and then maybe you can just get the ecu reprogrammed. someone can correct me if im wrong, coz im not sure if im right or not.

Comment

Our ECU's dont get "re-programmed" as easily as you may think.
                BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

Working...
                X