So yeah, bout that 4 channel amp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So yeah, bout that 4 channel amp...

Fried!! My beloved hand-me-down Rockford Fosgate 551x 4 channel amp has finally died on me. I bought it from Mike (Rider69) back in October of '04, she's served me fine in 2 installs, and thanks to the tremendous heat and my aggressive listening/tuning habits, she's gone for all I know. As far as quality, I would lend to believe that the quality was just perfect for my listening habits, and at 70 watts RMS at 4 ohms, I couldn't really complain for the deal I got. I assume she's shot as she's been intermittenly cutting in and out over the past 2 weeks. And finally, she's not lighting up at all. So the story goes, I need a 4 channel amp. I didn't find much in the way of quality amps on E-bay for the quality I'm searching for, aside for an Eclipse EA3422 amp and a Soundstream XStream XTA 720.4. I've heard that Soundstream has been lagging in quality the past few years, however, given that I'm not looking to spend more than $200 shipped, finding a new amp that fits my needs is very tough.

Any suggestions?
    Kevin

I have about a two-year-old Kenwood 4 channel amp, I can't remember the model number, but it's 80 watts/channel at 4 ohms and it's great. I'm not selling it, BTW, just recommending something.

Comment

not *as* good as the power series, but still a good amp.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure at this point.. the amp is working again?? I'm going to sell this thing soon to some unsuspecting person.. because at this point, I really don't care for RF gear. I've never successfully overheated these amps until recently, I'm eyeing that Eclipse amp.. it's "Intelligent 7-Way Discrete Protection Circuitry" or whatever.. kinda makes you feel secure, that if it IS going to intend to overheat, it'd have enough common sense to go into auto-protect . Unlike this hunk of aluminum.
        We'll see.
        Kevin

Comment

Working...
        X