sway bar size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sway bar size

Does anyone know the size (in mm) of the front OEM LX sway bar?
    What about the suspension techniques one.... is it 19mm?
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

I can't remember the stock front size, but the ST front bar is an ADD ON 19mm bar. Meaning you leave the exsisting one there, and ADD another. There are some small binding issues, but not enough to get into a fuss about unless you're a stickler for "ideal" things...and then you're looking custom and a lot of labor to install it.
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

speaking of sway bar sizes, how big is the mx-3 front sway bar? and how hard is it to get it on our cars, if possible?

also how big is the rear sway bars on the LXs?

thanks
      Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

Originally posted by deadly_sleeper
        speaking of sway bar sizes, how big is the mx-3 front sway bar? and how hard is it to get it on our cars, if possible?

also how big is the rear sway bars on the LXs?

thanks
        MX-3 bars are NOT interchangeable. The ends are rotated 90 degrees from ours.
        -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Stock LX front bar is 22mm, rear is 20mm, later models had a 21mm rear bar, i think it's 90-91 and 92-94.

Stock front bar on a ZX2 is 25.4mm (1") and is interchangable, but changing the front bar, means dropping the entire sub frame and suspension, along with the lower crossmember, so an engine support will be needed aswell.

Also, unless you get a 1" rear bar (or bigger) to match it will have lots of understeer.

Comment

correction...

as the factory repair manual states it

----------------------------------------------------------------------

BP DOHC
            front-22.0mm(0.87)

BP SOHC
            front-19.1mm(0.75)

all the rear bar's are set at one standard...
            or so the book says (including the 323)

rear-20.0mm(0.79)

if these are correct measurements and all...then the ZX2 bar isn't technically much bigger in the front then it looks...(it looks to be a good 4-6 mm bigger when placed next to the stock LX bar)

god thats a bitch to install the ZX2 bar onto the 323.....(just ranting)
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323

if these are correct measurements and all...then the ZX2 bar isn't technically much bigger in the front then it looks...(it looks to be a good 4-6 mm bigger when placed next to the stock LX bar)
              very small changes in sway bar diameter change the stiffness of the bar greatly.
              -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer

Also, unless you get a 1" rear bar (or bigger) to match it will have lots of understeer.
                I think you could get away with this, just as a lot of stock class autocross cars do.

Big front bar = less body roll

less body = less body roll induced positive camber

less body roll induced positive camber = more front end grip

more front end grip = less understeer.

it's a theory that works with SOME cars. I think it could work for a BG chassis. On another note, since the BG chassis cars don't have issues with putting down power, unlike for example, the 3rd gen guys, I think a big front bar wouldn't have a lot of bad side effects.
                -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Out of curiousity, are the GTX or GTR sway bars swappable? I remember reading somewhere that the GTX has a 22mm front sway bar and the GTR a 23mm one. If they are in fact interchangeable, wouldn't a GTX(R) front sway bar and an ST rear bar make a good setup?
                  '91 LX

well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
                    Out of curiousity, are the GTX or GTR sway bars swappable? I remember reading somewhere that the GTX has a 22mm front sway bar and the GTR a 23mm one. If they are in fact interchangeable, wouldn't a GTX(R) front sway bar and an ST rear bar make a good setup?
                    It would probably fit. Same PITA install as the ZX-2 bar. No point in putting the 22mm bar in an LX though, since that's the stock size. And using the 23F/22R (ST-size) wouldn't have much of an affect on the handling balance, but would reduce body roll somewhat.

And the '92 and later LXs are the ones with a 21mm rear bar.
                    David Avard
                    '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
                    '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
                    '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

so is it worth getting the LX bars and putting them into a normal pro?

Comment

Originally posted by 1990DX
                        so is it worth getting the LX bars and putting them into a normal pro?
                        I thought the LX was a 'normal pro'?

As mentioned above, small changes in sway bar diameter make a difference. Make sure you grab a rear sway bar from the 92+ model (21mm) for your DX.
                        '91 LX

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
                          I thought the LX was a 'normal pro'?

As mentioned above, small changes in sway bar diameter make a difference. Make sure you grab a rear sway bar from the 92+ model (21mm) for your DX.
                          no the LX is not normal. Damn DOHC bastards.

is there a website for the Suspension Techniques bar?
                          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

You can find the Suspension Techniques bar at various online stores. If you meant their official website, then here it is:
                            Check out innovative suspension products based on the rennomated know-how of KW automotive - shop now!
                            '91 LX

Comment

mental note:
                              Grab a zx2 front sway bar and also grab a protege rear sway bar at the next trip to the junkyard.
                              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                              X