BP motor in SOHC MX3 update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BP motor in SOHC MX3 update

A couple of months ago I swaped a Protege 1.8L DOHC engine in my MX3. So far everthing is running good. I'm still using my stock transmission, alxes, engine harness, and ECU, Which are my main reason for writing this post. Now don't get me wrong, these stock parts are still doing their jobs, but these little things are annoy me.

1. This is my biggest concern: I am still using my stock ECU and fuel pump with the 1.8L DOHC engine. I can't help but feel I'm loosing horsepower and running lean with the stock set-up. I am planning to turbo this engine in the future so I need to purchase these items anyways; a RX7 twin turbo fuel pump an a FMU fuel regulator. Basically my question is can I run the RX7 twin turbo fuel pump and fMU fuel regulator to feed my engine more fuel or is it going to make my car run too rich? Otherwise, Should I just keep my stock fuel pump and buy a Apexi' AFC controller to increase the fuel? < Please don't tell me to get the Protege wiring harness and ECU, I have both the 1.6L SOHC and the 1.8L DOHC wiring diagrams and they are the same, except for the two extra wires on the DOHC harness. For the Protege ECU, that also is no good beause it will set off checl engine light because I don't hae the VICS system hooked up!>

2.The Sohc right side stock axle has some play in it. I don't know if i damage it when doing the swap or just didn't torque down the axle nut tight enough. Can anyone tell me what could be the reasin for the play? I will soon purchase the Protege LX intermediate shaft and right side axle soon.

Re: BP motor in SOHC MX3 update

Originally posted by lui
    A couple of months ago I swaped a Protege 1.8L DOHC engine in my MX3. So far everthing is running good. I'm still using my stock transmission, alxes, engine harness, and ECU, Which are my main reason for writing this post. Now don't get me wrong, these stock parts are still doing their jobs, but these little things are annoy me.

1. This is my biggest concern: I am still using my stock ECU and fuel pump with the 1.8L DOHC engine. I can't help but feel I'm loosing horsepower and running lean with the stock set-up.

You should really get a DOHC ECU.

< Please don't tell me to get the Protege wiring harness and ECU, I have both the 1.6L SOHC and the 1.8L DOHC wiring diagrams and they are the same, except for the two extra wires on the DOHC harness. For the Protege ECU, that also is no good beause it will set off checl engine light because I don't hae the VICS system hooked up!>
    You should realy get the DOHC ECU, yopu dont need the harness you just should have the ECU.

I am planning to turbo this engine in the future so I need to purchase these items anyways; a RX7 twin turbo fuel pump an a FMU fuel regulator. Basically my question is can I run the RX7 twin turbo fuel pump and fMU fuel regulator to feed my engine more fuel or is it going to make my car run too rich? Otherwise, Should I just keep my stock fuel pump and buy a Apexi' AFC controller to increase the fuel?
    I think you will be runing rich. also if you are using the stock injector wait till you upgrade those before upgrading the fuel pump. out fuel system can manage up to 7psi of boost
    ok....

2.The Sohc right side stock axle has some play in it. I don't know if i damage it when doing the swap or just didn't torque down the axle nut tight enough. Can anyone tell me what could be the reasin for the play? I will soon purchase the Protege LX intermediate shaft and right side axle soon.
    i wish i could answer that for you.
    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
    So his engine he goosed
    With much too much boost,
    And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

I am not 100% sure, but I would think that adding the fuel pump would be safe. The fuel regulator should just send the unused fuel back to the tank.
      -------------------------
      '91 LX
      '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
      -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
      well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

actually you might run to rich, you are actually fine with your sohc fuel pump, remember you don't have a monster turbo engine, and a stock bp doesn't need so much fuel, but the ecu you do need to change because through there you are loosing power since that two wiring thing you mentions you have to change well you do that to keep your sohc wiring harness but you need the bp dohc ecu for that to be essential work, because you sohc ecu is making you lag on the true performance on that engine, if i where you i would wait for you to get the engine turbo before you change the fuel pump
        92 323 with KF-ZE V6 swap done by me, cold air intake, 2 1/4 header back piping, ported throttle body with spacer, NOW FOR SALE FOR $2500, email me at dezznuts59@aol.com

Comment

If i got the Protege lx Ecu and plug it in I will have a check engine light because I dont have the VICS system plug in and the SOHC wiring harness doesn't have the wiring for the VICS system. I guess I will just have to get the Apexi' afc controller to make things richer. The motor really feel like it needs more fuel.

Comment

you can manually wire in the vics. there are a bunch of people who have dont that. just ask how. mike323 has done that, and so has a few other people.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

hit up a search on this page and there plently of forums that tell you how to wire the vics to your sohc wiring harness
              92 323 with KF-ZE V6 swap done by me, cold air intake, 2 1/4 header back piping, ported throttle body with spacer, NOW FOR SALE FOR $2500, email me at dezznuts59@aol.com

Comment

I thought that all the mX3s came dual cams, 1.6 on the earlier years, and then 1.8 in the latter half like the Miata.

Anyone else confirm this?
                The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

the 1.8L on the mx3 is the v6 engine, i haven't heard of of a 1.8dohc 4cylinder mx3 unless it was swapped

Comment

thank you for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by lui
                      I guess I will just have to get the Apexi' afc controller to make things richer. The motor really feel like it needs more fuel.
                      leaner would be faster ... ???
                      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

you DO NOT want to be runnign rich. if you dont have the airflow to combust the fuel you have in there now... say again why you are adding even more fuel???

the protege naturally runs rich.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

i agree with protoss on that one, why would you want to run richer for

Comment

If your worried about running to lean get a A/f guage and find out. My brothers festiva project is a 1.6l dohc b6 running a b3 ecu using a bp maf... Cute Eigh?
                            -torp.
                            94 Mx-3 1.8l Inline 4
                            81 Celica Gt..

Comment

pics of that project?!?

Comment

Working...
                              X