Air Silencer Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Silencer Removal

So who here has removed their air silencer and what, if any, difference did it make? I've already removed mine since I have the whole front end torn apart anyway. I'm sure the actual HP increase is negligable. I'm just curious to see what others have to say about it because I'm not going to feel a difference as I've never driven my car (or any other Protege for that matter.) I got mine in the state exhibited by my first sig pic.
    Attached Files
    '98 ES - For Sale!

I had to take mine out in order to fit my cold air intake. Where that white box used to be is now my air filter. In the stock car it has two roles, its prevents air from resonating, and also does not allow for water to come up the air pipe. In order to prevent that om cold air intakes, one must by air-by-pass.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

taking it out makes alot of diffrence though. if you look at that silencer then you can see that its making the intake suck air nearly from a vaccum. The only open part for the intake to suck air is flat against the sidewall. taking it out increases the amount of air sucked in by a huge amount.
      sigpic

Comment

btw lots i have a front bumper the same color as yours i can sell. it has a grill in it and a ram air vent. Ill sell it to you for around 200.
        sigpic

Comment

The only difference that it makes is that more air gets up to the filter.
          It really doesn't make any hp gains.
          You can't feal that difference.
          It just removing the resonator..
          that's all
          Bruce
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by OCD-SPEED
            taking it out makes alot of diffrence though. if you look at that silencer then you can see that its making the intake suck air nearly from a vaccum. The only open part for the intake to suck air is flat against the sidewall. taking it out increases the amount of air sucked in by a huge amount.
            a lot of difference? I don't think so.
            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
            -93 MR2, 129 ES
            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Why does someone always have something
              to say about what OCD posts?
              Everytime he posts something, someone has
              to turn around and "might as well" say that
              he doesnt know what the **** he is talking
              about. Maybe he does. The only way you can
              be so sure as whether or not you gain power
              from such a change is to have your car put on a
              dyno after each change is made. And even if you did,
              dyno's arent always that accurate.
              So why dont we all just get along. Plz.
              Mike A.

Comment

Yea, that,s what I'm wondering. It's ok though I dont really care what they think. I just know I went to college for this sort of thing and they most likely havent.
                But anyway, (more air into the engine) = (more horsepower). This is the same concept of turbos, they simply push more air in.
                I would not be surprised if taking the silencer box out increases air flow by 25 or more percent. Now I agree that taking the box out alone wont help all that much, because the stock intake is still very restrictive. However, taking all of the stock intake out and adding a cold air will make a world of diffrence.
                If you cant afford an intake though; take the box out anyway it will help some. Think about it this way. With the silencer in, the only place the engine can actually suck fresh air from is in the 1mm opening around the edges of the top black piece on the box.
                Yeah, thats good for gas milage, but damn near kills all your hp.
                Last edited by OCD-SPEED; 10-18-2003, 09:12 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Yea, that,s what I'm wondering. It's ok though I dont really care what they think. I just know I went to college for this sort of thing and they most likely havent.
                  But anyway, (more air into the engine) = (more horsepower). This is the same concept of turbos, they simply push more air in.
                  I would not be surprised if taking the silencer box out increases air flow by 25 or more percent. Now I agree that taking the box out alone wont help all that much, because the stock intake is still very restrictive. However, taking all of the stock intake out and adding a cold air will make a world of diffrence.
                  If you cant afford an intake though; take the box out anyway it will help some. Think about it this way. With the silencer in, the only place the engine can actually suck fresh air from is in the 1mm opening around the edges of the top black piece on the box.
                  We are not ragging on you .. but most of the stuff you are speaking off I have done like 2 years ago .. The airbox thing me and Hunter from Protegetech.com did like 2 years ago .. The cold air intake around the same time .. It was not a big deal , a better sound a little better throttle response, but that was it ... I still got my ass handed to me by a civic hatch with a B18 or B16..

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Yea i did the same thing a long time ago too. But you have to remember there are people here who havent done it yet. So i explain it to them. Hopefully get them excited about moding their cars.
                    sigpic

Comment

Mine's out either way. Even if there's no hp gain - it's out. I figure the only things it can be doing is silencing incoming air to some degree, restricting the flow of air to some degree, and adding about 1.5 lbs to the car. I figure I'm looking at a win-win-win situation here. I will be sucking air from the engine bay which has it's disadvantages, but as soon as I start moving that air will be within a few gegrees of ambient anyway. I might put the black tube back on (left side of the pic) so that at least it's getting outside air.

It's a free mod which I'm all about since I'm dropping some serious cash on parts to get 'er back in shape. OCD - I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the front bumper you're offering. Trouble is I just bought a brand new one for much less. Still interested in seeing a pic - who knows maybe I'll like what you've done to it. I can always take the one I bought back.
                      '98 ES - For Sale!

Comment

Originally posted by lotsacars
                        Mine's out either way. Even if there's no hp gain - it's out. I figure the only things it can be doing is silencing incoming air to some degree, restricting the flow of air to some degree, and adding about 1.5 lbs to the car. I figure I'm looking at a win-win-win situation here. I will be sucking air from the engine bay which has it's disadvantages, but as soon as I start moving that air will be within a few gegrees of ambient anyway. I might put the black tube back on (left side of the pic) so that at least it's getting outside air.

It's a free mod which I'm all about since I'm dropping some serious cash on parts to get 'er back in shape. OCD - I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the front bumper you're offering. Trouble is I just bought a brand new one for much less. Still interested in seeing a pic - who knows maybe I'll like what you've done to it. I can always take the one I bought back.
                        Did you pull the motor out you car. Is that what I see in y our sig

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bubbashane
                          The only way you can
                          be so sure as whether or not you gain power
                          from such a change is to have your car put on a
                          dyno after each change is made. And even if you did,
                          dyno's arent always that accurate.
                          So why dont we all just get along. Plz.
                          umm, there are certain rules and theories that engines follow. So you can know whether or not something will make a huge difference or not.

Keep in mind that I said that it wouldn't make a HUGE difference, as in, you're not going to now be able to beat up on Camaros.

"taking it out increases the amount of air sucked in by a huge amount."

a huge amount? no...no way.
                          -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

air flow by 25%? jeez...... do the flow calculations of your motor spinning at 7000rpm, figuring something like ~240 ft/s ideal and see what size orifice you need at the intake. You're not being THAT restricted by the stock airbox. Mazda wouldn't have put it on if it was that bad. They would have made the silencer box bigger to allow more flow.

I mean....just use some common sense. You're never going to to gain 25% more airflow from something like this. Especially when you're not even letting the air get into the engine any better, ie, cams. Being that you have a set time length that the cams are open, you're trying to get the highest VELOCITY of incoming air, along with GOOD FLOW QUALITY once in the intake manifold.
                            -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Well,
                              I have an essentialspeed.com CAI. The CAI itself gave me a better sound and some extra low end torque. The CAI removes the factory piping and sits in front of the resonator box drawing denser air in from the fender well.
                              When prototyping the CAI, we originally ahd the ENITRE iping systme out, but, found that there was no noticable gain. It also increased the likely hood of sucking in water during rain so we put it back in...heres a pic
                              Attached Files

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                              1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                              Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Working...
                              X