Tools - Check
    GTX Engine - Check
    new Tranny - Check
    SMIC and pipes - Check
    Downpipe - Check
    GTX fuel pump - Check

what am i forgetting guys
    Serenity's Dead.

Huh????? What????? I thought you were selling the GTX??????

93' 5spd DX
    R.I.P

Comment

Your forgetting bigger exhaust, high flow muffler, boost gauge and pyrometer gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by cablemirc
        guys, what do we need to run that bitch off the BP05 harness and ecu?
        Nothing really, it's plug and play with a couple of wires to splice. It will run rich at part throttle and idle. It will also have a great pickup due to advanced timing, so use premium fuel. You should be fine at stock PSI, just don't heat soak the bitch with that SMIC. I ran mine like that for a while, with an RX7 VAF, and large front mount. Pulled better than with the GTX ECU at the same psi.

To avoid wiring problems, I would take the injector harness from the current engine (N/A) and place it on the GTX. Extend the fuel pressure solenoid wire, zap strap the VICS solenoid somewhere in the engine bay, and use the single wire O2 sensor off the NA motor. The reason I am saying this is because the injector harness on the GTX has a 6wire plug and the NA one is an 8 wire plug. You can splice your NA 8 wire plug on your GTX injector harness, but it's much easier to transport the engine NA injector harness over and removes any room for error.
        Last edited by Lex; 07-22-2005, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
          Nothing really, it's plug and play with a couple of wires to splice. It will run rich at part throttle and idle. It will also have a great pickup due to advanced timing, so use premium fuel. You should be fine at stock PSI, just don't heat soak the bitch with that SMIC. I ran mine like that for a while, with an RX7 VAF, and large front mount. Pulled better than with the GTX ECU at the same psi.

To avoid wiring problems, I would take the injector harness from the current engine (N/A) and place it on the GTX. Extend the fuel pressure solenoid wire, zap strap the VICS solenoid somewhere in the engine bay, and use the single wire O2 sensor off the NA motor. The reason I am saying this is because the injector harness on the GTX has a 6wire plug and the NA one is an 8 wire plug. You can splice your NA 8 wire plug on your GTX injector harness, but it's much easier to transport the engine NA injector harness over and removes any room for error.
          thank you. anything else we should know?

Originally posted by 323Foreword
          Your forgetting bigger exhaust, high flow muffler, boost gauge and pyrometer gauge.
          im already running a 2 1/4 catback
          Serenity's Dead.

Comment

I also use a walbro pump, but people say that it's not required. I would get as cold plugs as possible and strongly consider a front mount ... you guys have 92 octane max (from what I remember) and it's quite hot down in Cali. I always ran 94. The NA timing is quite a bit more advanced than the GTX and the VJ20 likes to overboost. At WOT with no boost controller, I'd hit 10 psi on stock exhaust.

Your knock sensor will just be left hanging off the block.

Really, aside from that it is just plug and play if you can make your exhaust match up. I had a cut GTX downpipe and mated it to my NA exhaust which I still have ... not ideal but Im working on it.

You may need a different engine fan ... I don't know how it fits on the protege. I alsorecommend making solid engine mounts while the engine is out as well. I made my front and back ones solid.

One final note. I used my NA starter. It didn't clear the GTX intake manifold bracket in the back. I had to use an angle grinder and take out some of that bracket .... but nothing major.

Comment

the fan! good call. yeh 92 is the highest i can get locally, i have to drive a bit farther to get 94 and up. dave is giving me his GTX pump, that should be sufficient right?
              Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by protegebob
                Huh????? What????? I thought you were selling the GTX??????
                Mr. Admin made me an offer i couldnt refuse... but now i cant get my Rx7
                Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddX
                  the fan! good call. yeh 92 is the highest i can get locally, i have to drive a bit farther to get 94 and up. dave is giving me his GTX pump, that should be sufficient right?
                  Wasn't Dave having problems with that pump? I know the GTX has a resistor box or something of the sort hooked up to the pump ... something your NA harness does not have. I think the stock NA pump can hold up. Like I said, the safest route is to go with a 255 l/h pump.

Also like someone else mentioned, get a pyro and a boost gauge. A narrowband AF gauge is also not a bad idea even though people say they are useless, they give you AN IDEA of what's going on.

Comment

if all else fails u can go to a parts store and dig up a 3kgtvr4/rx7TT Fuel pump. They carry those in stock. but there like 190$-230$. But the proege Fuel pump is like 160$. IF you got the 90-92 dx fuel pump barcket u can use those Fuel pumps without any modification to the mounting bracket. I fyou have the 93-94 than u wil lhave to modify the bracket a bit, and or bend some metal around..lol

Comment

Um when I ran the stock bp-05 ecu, it pinged like a mo fo. GTX ecu took care of that. BTW, I am running a GTX ECU on my stock EGT harness.
                      BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                      2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

im sure there are tons of peeps with the na ecu

Comment

Originally posted by jitb37
                          im sure there are tons of peeps with the na ecu
                          And those people have pinging problems.
                          BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                          2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

i beg to differ, about 70% of the peeps with GTX dont have the Gtx ecu. the either are using a stand alone. or the na ECu with a AFC.

Comment

Originally posted by jitb37
                              i beg to differ, about 70% of the peeps with GTX dont have the Gtx ecu. the either are using a stand alone. or the na ECu with a AFC.
                              ill be using JUST the n/a ecu. no standalone involved
                              Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X