Loud Muffler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud Muffler

I have the apexi' N1 muffler with a 2-1/2 inch straight pipe on my car. Even with the silencer the muffler is so damn loud. What can I do to make the muffler more silent? I figure it was the 2-1/2 inch piping but my friends saturn is loud too and when I look at his piping he only had a 1 inch straight pipe. So I guess it has something to do with not having a catalytic. Is there any other solution in makeing the muffler more silent?

get two resonators.
    James G.
    sobe83@yahoo.com
    AIM: DVS 323BPT
    MySpace
    Cardomain
    <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

get a new muffler, so you still have the resonator? if not get one of those. or decrease the diameter of the exaust piping to 2".
      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
      So his engine he goosed
      With much too much boost,
      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Whats a resonators?

Comment

best way to describe a resonator is a tiny muffler get glass pack ones preferablly. havent you ever seen more than one buldge coming from you exhaust piping? one would be the cat, and the other is a resonator, just helps quite the exhaust.
          James G.
          sobe83@yahoo.com
          AIM: DVS 323BPT
          MySpace
          Cardomain
          <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

if it's too loud for you, then opening your exhaust pipe was NOT the smartest idea. i have 2 inch piping going from my cat back.. mandrel bent, jumping through a 2 1/4 inch resonator, to 2 1/2 piping going over the axle, and then straight back to a flowmaster 40 muffler.. this son of a bitch is loud, but not as loud as just having the 2 1/2 inch pipe axle back to the same muffler... as i've had a resonator installed. it's ceramic, as such it should typically last longer than a glass pack? and also, bear in mind that the quieter your muffler is, genearally the more restrictive it is. and vise versa, the less restrictive the muffler, the louder the appaerent sound of the exhaust. i can't remember, but The_man and someone else had recommended some muffler long ago that wasn't very loud at all, and performed well with our cars. i don't know, thats kind of a loaded statement, so i'll keep my thoughts to myself,
            peace

Comment

I believe TheMAN recommends the Racing Beat cat back exhaust system. He stated that it increases performance, to some extent, and is relatively quiet.
              02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
              MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
              MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
              Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
              MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
              Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
              Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
              Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
              Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
              Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
              Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
              Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
              Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Well I planning to put in a custom turbo on my motor in a couple of month. I heard that a turbo motor will make the muffler not sound so loud.Is that true or not? So, I guess I'll hold out for longer with the loud noise.

Comment

bro, we're not gifted enough to recieve a complete racing beat exhaust system for the 90 - 94 protege. would be great, just the fact is there isn't a big enough market for them to want to do that.
                  peace

Comment

bro referring to goldstar...???
                    peace

Comment

Working...
                    X