tranny fluid change Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tranny fluid change Q

ok been wondering this, i have a clue, but wanna be sure. i have a 1999 pro lx manual, i bought full synthetic tranny fluid, and want to know if any of you changed out your tranny fluid. and where to fill it, i have been told the speedo cable.
    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
    225.94wtq
    torque monster!!!!
    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

I've done mine on a 2002 2.0L, and there were drain and fill plugs, both 23mm. I never messed with anything else, no cables, just bolts. Either way, make sure you get new gaskets for when you put the plugs back in!

Comment

I changed the transmission fluid on both my '02 Protege5 and my '93 Pro DX.

On the '02, there are separate fill and drain plugs, both 23mm as posted above.

On the '93, there was a drain plug (23mm, I believe) and it was filled through the speedo cable.

In both cases, the drain plug is on the bottom of the transmission and the fill location is on top. On the '02, the fill plug is sort of facing the front of the car. In both cases, it is easiest if you remove the air intake boxes and hoses first.

On the '93, I was able to remove the speedo cable by laying directly underneath the car and unscrewing the screw next to the speedo cable, then prying the cable off by inserting a flat screwdriver between the tranny housing and the speedo cable bracket and twisting.

Easiest way to fill either transmission is from above with a looong funnel, but I managed without one by sticking the oil bottles in there every which way but loose.

To replace the speedo cable, I pushed it in as best I could, then tightened down the screw. It made a crunching sound, which I was afraid was the plastic gear's teeth breaking, but turned out to be just them snapping into place.

I don't know what the '99's setup looks like.
      '02 Black Protege5
      '93 Gray Protege DX

Comment

Working...
      X