best exhaust setup for 99 ES?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best exhaust setup for 99 ES?

I have a 99 ES, and am wondering what all of your opinions are on exhaust setup.

I am hoping to do a full header and cam performance mod in the future, dunno if this affects it. I am quite lacking in knowledge on performance upgrades.

Any posts appreciated.
    My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
    JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
    AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

All of the MX6 guys would always say with an N/A you don't want to take away too much backpressure, but then again there would be counter arguments for that.

I think a cat-back/headers would be good, but for N/A, a good rule of thumb (or so I've been told) is no more than 2.5" piping.

Or you could always get the MSP muffler if you want some decent, subtle sound, not going to gain any power though.
    03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege

MAM Built Block, Microtech EMS on the way

HiBoost FMIC--Greddy Profec-B SpecII--AWR Front Mount, RR-inserts in rear--Injen SRI--PLX Wideband

88 MX6 LX-Turbo - DEAD

Comment

I would say get the Racing Beat cat-back. Not as loud and obnoxious as the Mazdaspeed axle-back, which can be pretty annoying at times if you ask me.
      Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by NegatiZE
        I would say get the Racing Beat cat-back. Not as loud and obnoxious as the Mazdaspeed axle-back, which can be pretty annoying at times if you ask me.
        Ditto. The Racing Beat exhaust almost can't even be heard inside the car. Although paired with an Injen CAI it gives it a great sound.

Comment

I have a 99 ES with obx exhaust and 2.5" piping and cold air intake and i would suggest that if you want to go for loud ,BUT it has a deep clean sound and dosent drowned out the intake. I just got my headers today and plan to run straight pipes off the headers,but that's going to the extreme. that alone made the biggest differance i will probly see in performance without spray/turbo. if your into loud,deep,clean sound thats what i suggest

Comment

Racing Beat is the best choice for bolt-on cat back systems.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

oooOOoohh.. the Racing Beat is a really nice exhaust
              *counts pennies*

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
              RB springs
              Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
              MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

How much did does the racing beat cat-back cost?
                02' Protege ES sedan w/ 03 refresh package, loaded with everything minus sunroof, 5 speed manual, red neons under seats to match red lighting on guage cluster/center consol *you can't hug children with nuclear arms*

Comment

retail on it is $450. most vendors sell for about $430. you might keep an eye out for GB's or specials that brings the price down to about $400 shipped. good luck! i love my RB catback.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I would like the performance, but would like to avoid being loud. I am actually more concerned with the performance. I know there are emissions rules to deal with. What are the legal ramifications of going with the 2.5" pipe, say with a high-flow cat?

I do plan on an Injen, btw.

Also, are there any specific differences with the 1.8L vs the 2.0 for exhaust hook-up? It seems like everything out there is listed for the 2.0s.
                    My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                    JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                    AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

Comment

everything cat-back should be the same for 1.8 and 2.0

racing beat is a very high quality exhaust system that is not loud, and gives some performance improvement.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

the only way to get any real performance out of the car is by removing the primary cat. that's the first cat after your exhaust mani. even racing beat said that most of the restrictions and power robbing comes from the two cats. get rid of the primary cat with a proper header and free up the second cat by replacing it with a high flow and you'll notice the benefits of an exhaust system immediately. good luck and keep us posted.

and don't listen to hank. the cat back is not the same for the 1.8 and the 2.0. ok, fine... it is. hee hee. i'm bored and don't want to write my paper.

Comment

Originally posted by 03MSP
                          All of the MX6 guys would always say with an N/A you don't want to take away too much backpressure, but then again there would be counter arguments for that.

The main counter arguement stemming from the fact that backpressure is ALWAYS a bad thing, and you need to strive to remove it. Engines needing backpressure is a myth.

I think a cat-back/headers would be good, but for N/A, a good rule of thumb (or so I've been told) is no more than 2.5" piping.
                          2.5" on a 1.8L that doesn't breath above 6000 rpm anyway is a poor idea. 2" would be far more beneficial. 2.5" would be quite overkill, and it will reduce low end power.
                          "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                          -93 MR2, 129 ES
                          ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                          Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

okay, I have seen that when getting a custom setup, it should be mandrel bend, I assume this means no wrinkles in the bend for a smooth pipe.

Also, I know there is an AWR header that reportedly will not fit a 1.8. Does anyone know of one that does?

What is the legality of removing either/both of the cats?

Comment

legality of removing your cats depends on the locale you live in.

some parts of the country you can run straight pipe (no mufflers either) and no one will care, some parts won't even let you have anything that resembles an aftermarket header.

check with your local DMV for more info.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

Working...
                              X