Window Tint + Illinois Law = Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window Tint + Illinois Law = Confused

Hey guys just wanted an opinion from all on tinting my windows. I talked to the main guy from my custom shop that I go to and I asked about tinting my vehicle. He quoted me a great price of $250 with a lifetime warranty. I asked how dark I can go and I WAS DISGUSTED by his answer. He told me that in the state of Illiois you cannot tint your driver side front and passenger windows. But the stupid thing was that you can go as dark as you want on the rest except front windshield. I told him that, that would look ridiculous and he agrees. He says that they get a way by installing it on all windows by stating that the car they are going to tint is for "off-road use" or show. My question to all especially to the 2nd gens should I tint my rear windows 50% and back 100% or 25% 45% or even tint my front at 10% where the cops would not notice. He told me that the chances of me getting ticketed for this is low but that if I get caught speeding they may ticket me on the spot for the illegal tint up in front as well. I do not know want I want to do but the main reason I wanted to tint the vehicle was to hide my electronics so people could not see them from the outside but I guess if they really wanted to break in they would. I am confused, searching for suggestions, answers and Illinois vehicle laws really suck and pretty much restrict how your vehicle looks and sounds.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sanblaster1; 07-25-2005, 06:24 AM.

I think 10% would be noticed.

Comment

Do everything 15%, then when you get pulled over for speeding just roll down all your windows.

Comment

All I know is getting windows tinted on the rear sides but not the front sides is horrendous. I would rather leave the car with no tints than any percentage arrangement that shows a difference and any perecentage will. Also, just lightly tinting the front windows will still allow visibility to your electronics. My opinion is, in your state, to forget about tints. Sorry for my negative sounding opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
          Do everything 15%, then when you get pulled over for speeding just roll down all your windows.
          Actually, when they do a test, they make you roll all your windows up and then just barely crack your driver window to see how much light is getting into the car. I was driving my buddy's 2000 SI with 30% all around. 30% is legal in Oregon, well the officer was a dick and didn't let me clean the windows first, and I got slammed with a $275 ticket to my name (never made since to me, I thought that it should go to the person that owned the car, but they say that you should know weither or not the car is legal or not before you drive it. Yeah I'm gonna carry around a meter to check the window.) Anyways, got it dropped when I went to court cuz I explained that the windows were really dirty inside and out, just rained with dirt on the windows, and my friend smokes inside his car, and had it retested and passed.

Just to warn you, get the window as clean as possible before they do a check if possible. Because it was a 30% window tint, but when he tested with the dirty windows it was like 22% or something.
          Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
            I think 10% would be noticed.
            I may have this backwards but, by 10% I mean, really light like factory stock almost. And yes the cops will make you roll your windows up to check because a customer during our conversation mentioned rolling down your windows but the manager there said that the cops are a little smarter than that now and will ask you to roll them up. It really sucks and I do not think I can get around it. Also every ticket is $75 for a violation. I really want it but, I do not want it to look stupid. I may be able to get intruder or someone to photoshop it for me to have a visual and maybe you guys can get a different perspective on it. As for tinting them all; I do not think it is worth it to try to get around it. It is $75 bucks I do not want to give my city.

P.S. Ooh and mannydingo there is no negative opinion man. That is what I am looking for. Honesty. I want to know if you guys would not do it to your vehicles then I do not want to do it to mine. But if there is a nice way of doing it then let me know or another type of option.
            Last edited by sanblaster1; 07-25-2005, 06:59 AM.

Comment

i'd just keep it as it is. you said it yourself if people would want to break into your car a tint would not stop them.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
              Mods:
              DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
              http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

Yeah beetle but it could help to deter them just a tad instead of just completely being clear and easily visible. But yeah like anything, if they want to get into your house or your car they will do it if they are determined to and want what you have.
                Last edited by sanblaster1; 07-25-2005, 07:14 AM.

Comment

And guys my percentages are based on visibility. Sorry for the confusion. By 10% I mean really light and by 100% I mean pure black.

Comment

Originally posted by sanblaster1
                    Illinois vehicle laws really suck and pretty much restrict how your vehicle looks and sounds.
                    thats true man, but at least we dont have to take an emissions test every year like the guys that live out in cali..
                    "Squirrels are evil because they have thumbs."
                    - Chick McGee

Comment

And guys my percentages are based on visibility. Sorry for the confusion. By 10% I mean really light and by 100% I mean pure black.
                      you're backwards

Comment

you're backwards
                        I know 95proleila but you are not helping. For me personally it is easier to go by visibility. Any suggestions on my problem though? Forward or backwards.

Comment

I've been driving my car since December with my tint and haven't had a problem. Michigan law says you can tint only the top 4 inches of the front door windows and winshield. the rest of the windows can be anything you want. I've put 12,000 miles on my car passing many cops in michigan, indiana and illinois and I haven't been hassled about my tint or exhaust. my brother had his Focus for 2 weeks and got a ticket for his windows. I guess you just take your chances. In michigan you don't have to pay the fine if you remove the tint within a week or 10 days.
                          Please sponsor me for the American diabetes association Tour de Cure.
                          http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...383&px=3361088
                          together, we can find a cure for Diabetes!!!!

Comment

I know 95proleila but you are not helping. For me personally it is easier to go by visibility. Any suggestions on my problem though? Forward or backwards.
                            well everyone in the industry uses transmission %, so making up your own way to say it isn't going to get you anywhere, the standard is trans. %.

Comment

well everyone in the industry uses transmission %, so making up your own way to say it isn't going to get you anywhere, the standard is trans. %.
                              I do not feel like getting into any arguments today 95pro. We will go by the standard then.

Comment

Working...
                              X