sub in glove compartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sub in glove compartment

your thoughts on this set up would be much appreciated...

www.cardomain.com/id/marlonthegreat

haha thats a nice idea...but i dont think my glove compartment could take it, it rattles as it is, all i need is another 6 inch sub/5 lbs. to rattle it right to the floorboard....hows it sound in your car? looks like you've got some extra reinforcements too

Comment

First of all, I would put some sort of heavy duty grill on it, so the passengers don't kill it. Also try sound-proofing the inside area for less rattling. Otherwise wicked ass idea

Me VBGarage HERE

"90% of young people that get into car accidents say "OH ****". The other 10% are from Wisconsin and say "Hold my beer and watch this!".

Comment

Nice solution for forward bass. I personally use my glove compartment, but the idea is cool.

Comment

what!?
          **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
          95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

cool idea, but you should try to enclose it better. but it definitely works wonders for up front bass.

Comment

Personally, if I was a passenger in the car, I wouldn't really want a subwoofer aimed at my groin.... that's just me tho.
              ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by TheLastMarauder
                Personally, if I was a passenger in the car, I wouldn't really want a subwoofer aimed at my groin.... that's just me tho.

play it at 33 hz and put a girl in the passenger seat to give her the big "O"

Comment

Heh, i could see someone sitting in the passenger seat and not paying attention and end up kneeing the **** out of the sub
                  Joe H
                  2000 Chevy Impala
                  3400 3.4 Liter V6
                  Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
                  U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
                  Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

Comment

Where bouts is your amplifier mounted? Just curious. In terms of sound, how loud can it really be without a calculated space for air flow? Or not enclosed? Again, I'm not doubting the form of this application, but how does it function as compared to a standard enclosure?
                    Kevin

Comment

Why do people think non-enclosed sub's are bad or not loud enough or sound crappy? My friend has two 12 inch open air subs in his trunk, and it booms loud enough for anyone that wants to be able to hear the next day and not go deaf
                      Joe H
                      2000 Chevy Impala
                      3400 3.4 Liter V6
                      Fun Times

Comment

It's not so much how loud it is as the efficiency and response you get. You can certainly get subs to play loud without an enclosure, but you can get them a lot louder with the same amount of power if they are enclosed and they have a much quicker response.

Comment

Joe, the best demonstration I could illustrate with that, put a 12 inch sub on the ground with power going to it without putting it in a box. This will illustrate, that even though you have a subwoofer moving air, it's not really producing that good amount of bass. Putting them in the trunk (or oddly enough a glovebox), much bigger improvement. Manage to put that puppy in a sealed enclosure, even better. Now you mount that sub in a box and don't put the box in the car, different story then just having it sit on the ground, even yet, the sub isn't as loud as when you had it IN the car. It's all a matter of resonance.
                          Kevin

Comment

Well he has them in a sub box, but its not a fully enclosed one.. sounds fine to me, i guess im just not that picky... afterall im kinda scared to put a sub in my protege, because even with the stock sterio system i can see it rattling the side view mirrors just with stockers, im kinda scared to see what'd happen if i have a dedicated sub
                            Joe H
                            2000 Chevy Impala
                            3400 3.4 Liter V6
                            Fun Times

Comment

Originally posted by Vash00es
                              Why do people think non-enclosed sub's are bad or not loud enough or sound crappy? My friend has two 12 inch open air subs in his trunk, and it booms loud enough for anyone that wants to be able to hear the next day and not go deaf

it's one thing to be non-enclosed, and it's something totally different to be a proper setup dipole/free-air application. to sound good, a free air setup still needs an enclosure, the trunk. if the rear wave of the sub is not contained in the trunk, there will be cancellation and crappy sound. most people do not realize what is involved with a true free-air application.

Comment

Working...
                              X