Need to find a particular chemical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to find a particular chemical

My little sister is doing a science project. Back in the day we used to blow up plastic bottles using aluminum foil and toilet bowl cleaner called "the works". The stuff that they bought was now a thicker formula, and doesn't seem to react the same way with the aluminum, therefore it doesn't blow **** up. Which sucks.

So i checked the bottle of the little ammount that I still have left in mine, and the active ingredient is Hydrogen Chloride. Does ANYONE know another cleaning product that may have this ingrediant in it that I could pick up at like walmart or something?
    Dan
    dreesemonkey

A quick web search said that Lysol Toilet cleaner has 9% Hydrogen Chloride.

Off to the store you go!

~HH

Comment

Originally posted by hihoslva
      A quick web search said that Lysol Toilet cleaner has 9% Hydrogen Chloride.

Off to the store you go!

~HH
      Thanks. I was just at wally world yesterday, and the lysol I found was hydrochloric acid (which I don't think works)... I'll have to keep looking!
      Dan
      dreesemonkey

Comment

I am pretty sure Hydrogen Chloride (HCl) is the same thing as Hydrochloric Acid. I wonder if one is usually sold as more dilute than the other.

In any case, I was able to confirm my suspision at the EPA web site.

Here's the entry for Hydrogen Chloride: http://www.epa.gov/iris/subst/0396.htm

Under synonyms Hydrochloric Acid is listed.

Edit: referencing a chem book I have it appears that Hydrochloric Acid is basically Hydrogen Chloride in the aqueous form. Hydrogen Chloride is actually a gas.

Additionally, here's a good .PDF on HCl and some of the nasty things it can do (to both a person and materials).
        Last edited by JJB; 10-20-2003, 08:21 AM.
        --JJB--
        '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
        Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
        16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
        15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
        Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

Hey, thanks for the info! I think the problem with the cleaner that we were using is that it is now a 'thicker' and probably more diluted formula. I'm going to try and find something still liquid. Stupid company's changine their products so I can't blow up plastic containers!
          Dan
          dreesemonkey

Comment

theres is alot of ways to do wut ur trying u can try dry ice and water, lemon and bakingsoda, alot of sweetnlow and some coke, and theres more just cant think rite now
            i is dumb

Comment

Hydrogen Chloride and Hydrochloric acid are the same thing.

Anyway - you can also try vinegar and baking soda:

Fill the bottle about 1/4 with vinegar. Then take a tissue and fill with baking soda, and tie it at the top with thin string, making something like a teabag.

Lower the teabag into the bottle (WITHOUT touching the vinegar), and screw the top back on with the string hanging out - so now the teabag is suspended above thevinegar inside the sealed bottle.

Tip the bottle on its side to let the vinegar & baking soda mix, and stand the hell back!

~HH

Comment

Lye* reacts with aluminum and water quite vigorously.
                If you ever look at Draino, it has crystals of lye, and small flecks of aluminum!
                * Lye being NaOH or some other base (not acid)

Comment

Working...
                X