Which turbo kit should I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which turbo kit should I get?

I have an 03 LX, almost completely stock, but with a CAI system coming soon. I want to turbo it, but I don't want to spend too much money on it. My goal is to break 200hp, but after that I'll be more concerned with saving money than getting every last bit of power out of it. Anybody have suggestions about what brand/size turbo to buy, or where to get them? I don't know much about them.

Re: Which turbo kit should I get?

Originally posted by jnorion
    I don't want to spend too much money on it. My goal is to break 200hp,
    That probably won't happen.
    Essential Speed apparently has a quality turbo kit.
    As does Flyin' Miata.
    Have heard a couple bad things about the workmanship of the Spool kit.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Probably won't do what, break 200hp or break that without putting too much money in?

What's the difference between the stage 1 and 2 turbo kits?

Comment

I meant you probably won't break 200 hp without spending a fair chunk of money.

I'm not sure the difference between stage 1 and 2.
        One of them probably has more boost and some different/better parts than the other.
        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

i think stage 2 gives you an intercooler.
          2001 Protege LX
          Appearence: 17" Gunmetal Exel Radius, EL Protege door sills, Painted emblems, CF radio surround, changed interior lights to blue LED's.
          Performance: Black injen CAI, 2.25" Magnaflow catback
          Other: 1st's grounding kit, Kartboy Exhaust hangers

Free Desktop PC complete an offer and i'll complete one of yours or give ya $5. pm me if you do.

Comment

I looked on essentialspeed, and the kits they have are $3200 and $4500 Canadian -- is this cheap or expensive for turbos? As I said, I really know nothing about them. It seems like this is a fairly standard price range on the sites I've been to, but all the ones I've looked at seemed like fairly basic kits.

Comment

Read Corky's book before you think about getting a turbo...
              "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake
              2001 Mazda Protege MP3, with Flyin' Protege Turbo Kit

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

Corky's book?

Comment

Corky Bell, "Maximum Boost"

"Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

my question here is:
                    Flyin' Miata's turbo is only 6psi... the one from essentialspeed (stage 2) is 10...
                    i'm also not 100% litterate when it comes to turbos.. i have a pretty good idea of how they work but i'm not sure the % difference from a 6 to a 10 psi turbo kit. (i'm assuming there'd be a 60% increase, no?)

although the flyin' miata turbo looks A LOT nicer than the essential speed one, and sounds more complete

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                    RB springs
                    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                    MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

I'm curious about Flyin Miata's numbers, too. They say there's a 77% power increase -- are we talking about 77% more horsepower? That would put it up somewhere around 240. Seems awfully high for 6psi boost.

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                        I'm curious about Flyin Miata's numbers, too. They say there's a 77% power increase -- are we talking about 77% more horsepower? That would put it up somewhere around 240. Seems awfully high for 6psi boost.

Read the site, look at stock numbers, look at the turbo numbers.

They are correct!

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

yeah.. i see the increase in whp numbers...
                          but wouldn't the whp with a 10psi be ~125% increase in whp?!

i'm just guessing from a mathimatical standpoint.. if 6psi = 77%, then 10psi would = ~125%

so whp would = ~200, give or take a dozen.

RB springs
                          Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

is it just me, or is this BS?

Buy Mazda Performance Turbo Kits - discount prices! Get high performance Mazda turbo kits, pistons, engine kits, rods, flywheels, crankshafts, camshafts, gaskets & more. We ship worldwide.

RB springs
                            Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

OK, so here's a new question. I've been looking at the jspec engines on corksport's site. The FS_ZE engine is the same size as mine but has 170hp. The cost of this seems pretty close to the cost of a basic turbo setup. Would it make more sense to spend the money on the engine first, and get somewhere near the same power gain, because then it would leave the option open to turbo that later for even more gain?

Also, the corksport site says this engine fits 99+ ES/5/MP3 models, but that there's a separate engine type for 99+ LX and DX. Does it really matter? I thought the LX,DX,ES,and 5 all had the same engine and nothing changed until you got into the mp3 or msp.

Comment

Working...
                              X