Intake sensor resistors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake sensor resistors

I've seen a bunch of intake sensor modifications like this one on ebay, that use a single resistor to modify the fuel mixture. This seems like it would be dangerous if it even makes a difference at all. Can anyone tell me if this actually works, how much difference it makes, could it damage the engine, etc.

if it is too good to be true than it prolly is. I think its a piece of crap.
    2001 Protege LX
    Appearence: 17" Gunmetal Exel Radius, EL Protege door sills, Painted emblems, CF radio surround, changed interior lights to blue LED's.
    Performance: Black injen CAI, 2.25" Magnaflow catback
    Other: 1st's grounding kit, Kartboy Exhaust hangers

Free Desktop PC complete an offer and i'll complete one of yours or give ya $5. pm me if you do.

Comment

scam
      Ryan The middle child is always ignored
      BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

I thought it probably was... there are a lot of these around

Comment

I don't know.
          In theory it makes sense. Our cars run rich so so a resistor on the end of the air sensor would tell the engine that its getting less air then in really is the ecu would then pump in less gas. Effectivly leaning out the air fuel mixture.

It makes sense to me but if it is too leaned out then your just gonna mes up your engine.
          The idea behind it is solid but I have never actually seen it in practice.

Comment

Big scam. You know how your car feels a little bit "peppier" in the morning or when the engine is cold? It does that because it needs more fuel when cold, what that resistor or "chip" as they call it does is make it think your engine is cold, which in turn makes you run rich and lose gas mileage for miniscule horsepower.
            03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege

MAM Built Block, Microtech EMS on the way

HiBoost FMIC--Greddy Profec-B SpecII--AWR Front Mount, RR-inserts in rear--Injen SRI--PLX Wideband

88 MX6 LX-Turbo - DEAD

Comment

So basically, it might work (sort of) but it's not worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                So basically, it might work (sort of) but it's not worth it?
                That's exactly right, but you wouldn't get the 20 hp they promise, that's why it's not worth it.
                03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege

HiBoost FMIC--Greddy Profec-B SpecII--AWR Front Mount, RR-inserts in rear--Injen SRI--PLX Wideband

88 MX6 LX-Turbo - DEAD

Comment

This subject has been discussed many times before, and I'm sure many times after this. The general concensus seems to be that this is bad. I believe the theory is to make the engine run richer, however, the 3 gens already runs rich so I doubt you will see more than 1 or 2 hp gains. You have to ask yourself if you are willing to have even crappier fuel economy and also risk the chance of future problems associated with installing something like this. In my opinion, this is not worth it.
                  Last edited by redfyre; 10-22-2003, 09:20 AM.
                  2002 Blackmica P5
                  CAI - MSP springs - Brembo cross-drilled rotors & KVR pads - Ground wires - Ignition wires - Silverstars - Eurolites - Pilot fogs - Toyo TPTs - Tint - Blue calipers & strut bar - Batsymbol in rear window

Comment

Dumb question

Why would you see any hp gains in an engine thats running rich by adding more gas. Shouldn't it just stall out, or lose power?

Comment

at wide open throttle it doesn't matter what the sensors are reading anyways. so even if it did work, it would only work when you weren't really stepping on the gas if you're going to put anything anywhere, i think it would have to be something to fool the ecu into thinking it was never in WOT, thereby letting it use the sensors, and possibly not running so rich and retarded when at WOT

Comment

Originally posted by zerocover
                        Dumb question

Why would you see any hp gains in an engine thats running rich by adding more gas. Shouldn't it just stall out, or lose power?
                        That's a really good point, I don't know how adding fuel increases performance.

But I think blue LEDz is right, you wouldn't notice the difference at WOT because it uses pre-set fuel/timing maps, but like I said before, it would feel "peppier" like it does in the moring when just half throttleing it.
                        03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege

88 MX6 LX-Turbo - DEAD

Comment

Sounds like a waste of money to me. I'm sure I can find a better way to get that 1hp out of it. Maybe I can take all the **** out of my trunk... seems like a more reliable idea.

Comment

It should give more then just one hp im remember these engines run really rich.

Im pretty boozed up right now so what if you just lenghened the wire from the throttle to the pedal. It would then never be at wot. Im pretty sure that the engine is already getting all the air it can hanndle. Using the old butt dyno Im guessing half throttle and full throttle are the same. If you were really boozed up how about a bigger throttle body?

Booze aside youd need to reprogram the ecu or speed a few days reverse engineering the ecu then just short out the part of the circut that takes over at woot.

Comment

that **** is so ghetto.. i think the newones ahve a switch so you can advance your timming when you are racing.. LMAO just like NAWWWWWWSSSSSSs

Comment

Working...
                              X