v6 swap axle problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v6 swap axle problem

Ok, I've got the v6 engine, transmission, wiring and the passenger side axle in. I'm having a serious problem getting the driver side axle to fit right, it seems about a 1/4 of an inch too long...Did anyone else experience this? Do I need mx3 v6 spindles and/or control arms? Please help...
    V6 swap write-up

Computer support, troubleshooting, and maintenance

Ok, I looked around on this board and mx-3.com and it looks like the mx3 v6 transmission and the protege lx have many similarities including same same splines for the differential. I read somewhere that the protege lx axles are a bit shorter, so tomorrow I'm gonna give it a shot.
    V6 swap write-up

Comment

what axles are u using?

Comment

I am using the mx3 v6 axles. Can anyone confirm that the protege lx driver side axle is a bit shorter than the mx3 v6 driver side?
        V6 swap write-up

Comment

it is shorter. BUt im using mx3 v6 axles on my swap and they worked fine.

IM using the v6 axles, and the protege Lx Spindles and it fits fine. ive heard taht the 95 mx3 axles are alittle weird, but more than lkely u wont fin those in the states.

Comment

Oh crap. I think you may be right, because I got my stuff from Canada and could be from that year. Oh well, either way I've got to get a different axle. Thanks for your insight.
            V6 swap write-up

Comment

Yea, speaking of canadian aparts, i ende up with a 95 mx3 GS spindle in myhands...lol an guess what...IT WAS DIFFERENT...

Comment

Ok, here's the update: I finally found a place with the axle for comparison...They're the same length! We did get the axle in though. We had to move the transmission a bit to do it but it worked... The only problem now is that there's no play in the axles so the suspension can travel up and down. I assume the mx3 v6 spindles fix this yeah?
                V6 swap write-up

Comment

mx3 and protege Lx Spindles are the same. The dx spindles are the same, but u will need the whole brake assembly also along with the caliper b/c the brakes are smaller.

What axle did u get in there?

Comment

So all 1G protege and all mx3 spindles are the same? Is there any way to give a little more clearance for the axles length wise?
                    V6 swap write-up

Comment

you have to run mx3 lower control arms. they are longer, and give you the length needed to clear everything. adds a bit of camber too

Comment

Working...
                      X