gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gauges

i drive a 2003 protege dx. as some of you know the lx and the es's gauges are different from the dx. the dx does not have the rpm gauge. so i was wondering, are there any aftermarket gauges for a dx or will i have to maybe convert to the lx and es type, if so will that be possible? thanks
    2003 protege dx; black mica
    titanium tip thermal exhaust
    k&n typhoon complete CAI
    custom engine dress up
    custom interior dress up
    5" autometer tach-silver face
    20% solar tint all around
    obx stainless steel headers
    stainless steel strut bar
    Racers Design shift knob w/custom short shifter
    17" MSR-105 gunmetal wheels, nitto neo-gen tires205/40zr17

There is not aftermarket clusters - thats what you are refering to. What you can do, is find one at a junk yard, and they interchange easy - plug&play. Though, whatever mileage is going to be on the new cluster is not going to reset to your original odometer reading. So, you can find one close to your original odometer reading or have (illegally) reset. A Mazda dealer could also reset it. But, they will reset it to zero, and place a sticker on your car saying that odometer has beem f*cked with. Thats it, I think. Anyone else?
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

i just saw some dx gauges for a 2000 model and it does not have the rpm gauge, the only difference in the gauges is that the oil temp and gas gauge are reversed. i wonder if they would still fit?
      2003 protege dx; black mica
      titanium tip thermal exhaust
      k&n typhoon complete CAI
      custom engine dress up
      custom interior dress up
      5" autometer tach-silver face
      20% solar tint all around
      obx stainless steel headers
      stainless steel strut bar
      Racers Design shift knob w/custom short shifter
      17" MSR-105 gunmetal wheels, nitto neo-gen tires205/40zr17

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
        There is not aftermarket clusters - thats what you are refering to. What you can do, is find one at a junk yard, and they interchange easy - plug&play. Though, whatever mileage is going to be on the new cluster is not going to reset to your original odometer reading. So, you can find one close to your original odometer reading or have (illegally) reset. A Mazda dealer could also reset it. But, they will reset it to zero, and place a sticker on your car saying that odometer has beem f*cked with. Thats it, I think. Anyone else?
        That's odd. So the odometer reading is stored in the actual instrument panel, and not in the ECU? I've heard that in most cars, with electronic odometers, the odometer reading is stored in the ECU, and no matter what instrument panel you put in the car, the odometer reading will be the same. Is this not how it works in our cars?
        2003 Protege LX 5-speed

Comment

Nope it kinda sucks. I wanted to swap my cluster for one with a tach, white gauges, and red lighting, but decided not to with the hassle it would create. I also read somewhere that you have to jerry rig the wiring to get the tach working too. I am just putting a 2 1/6" tach in my gauge pod. It is small but I only want it there for certain moments.

Comment

question if i added on of those gauges that go like on the dash or in a pod would it void my warranty?! well thanks
            03 SILVER DX: 30% IN FRONT AND 20% TINT IN BACK, 600W SONY XPLOD AMP, 2 10'' SUBS, 3 3/8'' TACH W/SHIFT LIGHT
            check it out at
            members.cardomain.com/phoenixzero

Comment

I couldn't imagine why it would.

Comment

okay just wondering thanks alot
                03 SILVER DX: 30% IN FRONT AND 20% TINT IN BACK, 600W SONY XPLOD AMP, 2 10'' SUBS, 3 3/8'' TACH W/SHIFT LIGHT
                check it out at

Comment

about the gauges
                  yes, if you put a new cluster, then your mileage will come to the one stored on it, not on your car
                  learned that the hard way when i tried to install the aftermarket, and you know the rest
                  went to the dealer, they got me a new one, totally zero'ed
                  and put a sticker on the car with the original milage on it
                  and it is a FEDRAL PENALTY if you remove it

best bet
                  know what your mileage is
                  get the new one with the tach
                  and enjoy!
                  hope that helped a little

Mods :

Racing Beats Springs...Racing beat Exhast (catback)...Boston Accoustics...50% tint all over ...Piaa superwhite fog lights...blue neon under seats... mesh grill (looks good, see for your self)...6cd OEM changer...blue engine loom in engine...clear corner turn signals...Kenwood amp(600W)

My car gallery

My car in silver

CRV.... Sold....sniff, sniff

Comment

save your money buy a 2004 mazda3 sport

Comment

Could the dealer not reset the one in the cluster to read the actual mileage

Comment

what about the gauge that sits on the dash with the shift light?!
                        check it out at

Comment

Originally posted by markmurray77
                          Could the dealer not reset the one in the cluster to read the actual mileage
                          nah, they can't and they won't because it
                          is aganist some kind of law
                          the guys at the dealer told me
                          i don't know if it is state or fedral
                          but pretty sure fedral

Mods :

Racing Beats Springs...Racing beat Exhast (catback)...Boston Accoustics...50% tint all over ...Piaa superwhite fog lights...blue neon under seats... mesh grill (looks good, see for your self)...6cd OEM changer...blue engine loom in engine...clear corner turn signals...Kenwood amp(600W)

My car gallery

My car in silver

CRV.... Sold....sniff, sniff

Comment

Could be a law in the US but I believe they can do it here as tey can grab the mileage off the ECU I believe and then calibrate the new cluster so it shows the actual mileage. I would think otherwise everyone would switch it out when tehy sell the car to report low mileage

Comment

Could you not pull the chip that stores the data on the old guages and resolder it into the new ones? Not sure how this would reflect against previously mentioned laws, but your mileage would be accurate.
                              02 Black Dx with Full Tint and Katana Tezzas...and don't you dare laugh at my sprayer LEDs!

Comment

Working...
                              X