what kind of enclosure for e12k.44?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what kind of enclosure for e12k.44?

I'm picking up my e12k.44 next weekend, and I was wondering what kind of enclosure i should build for it?
    my brother wants me to buy one, but i'd rather get the pride of building it (even if it takes a few tries to get it right)

figure this'll be the first step to making my car a DIY deal..

the site suggests either a 1cF sealed or 1.5cF ported. I don't have much time or the best workspace, so i was going to start off with a 1cF sealed.
    I know there's better pros on this site that could tell me what'd be best. What i listen to is called ragga, dancehall and jungle.. that's pretty much it for the car (occasional rock radio)
    so there's a fair amount of mid-bass and fair amount of low-end bass...
    (for an idea, find something by General Malice or Audio1)

the second part to my question is how do i do the wiring in the box? i have a fair amount of time on my hands to read up how to do it, if that's what it takes...

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
    RB springs
    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
    MP3 front bumper conversion

if you've got the space in your car, and the time on your hands, build the ported box they show on their site it's by far the best design i've ever seen recomended by any manufacturer it will give you the nice low bass, with great mid bass response as far as wiring it goes, i'm cheap, so i just drill hole into the box, and run the wires through it, then liquid nails it in place if you plan on removing it, or want it to look nice, you can use terminal cups. just make sure they are properly sealed

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
      as far as wiring it goes, i'm cheap, so i just drill hole into the box, and run the wires through it, then liquid nails it in place
      Q: What is liquid nails?

I will build a sealed for now and then probably that ported one... my brother has all the tools, just a matter of getting his sorry ass in gear.

RB springs
      Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

liquid nails is a very strong and thick adheasive go to the caulk isle of home depot, walmart, ace, whatever and get it there if you like low end bass, you might want to skip the sealed, unless it's purely for a learning process the ported drops way louder in the low freq's, ask misterT

edit: yeah, it might sound funny going into a store and asking where they keep the caulk but while you are there, you'll want to get the special vacuum that cleans up extra caulk or liquid nails. just ask for a caulk sucker, they'll know what you need:p:

Comment

read blues how-to build a box in the how-to section.
          '02 classic red p5
          currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

I have always been a fan of sealed boxes, but Blue made me a ported box that plain kicks ass! It delivers a lot more punch without sounding too boomy and playing with the crossover, I can adjust the bass accordingly. Not all CDs are done the same. Some are too bass heavy, while others are not enough. IMO, I would go with a ported one and that case you won't lose out on quality of sound and get more output.
            2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
            KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
            Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
            Groundkit

Comment

Well.. since I only have a week until i pick up the sub, I'll have to build a temporary sealed box until i can find the time to build to build a ported box...
              the eDesign one looks fairly simple to build (from a mathamatical standpoint).
              For the temporary sealed box, I will build it real quick. won't cover it with anything and won't make it pretty.. just wire it and seal it with liquid nails.

One other question: My subs are currently facing outwards. Should my new sub be facing inwards?

RB springs
              Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Freek

One other question: My subs are currently facing outwards. Should my new sub be facing inwards?
                do you mean in the box? just have the subs facing outward. and have the box facing the rear of the car

Comment

yeah. i've seen people's cars where the front of the box (where the sub sticks out) pointing towards the front of the car... so it's just pummeling the people in the rear with bass...

RB springs
                  Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Freek
                    yeah. i've seen people's cars where the front of the box (where the sub sticks out) pointing towards the front of the car... so it's just pummeling the people in the rear with bass...

the proper way to face the subs forward is to seal them off from the rest of the trunk, like in a free air setup facing them to the rear sounds better in most all cases, because of the way the sound waves interact with the car

Comment

I'm going to home depot to buy all the stuff i need to make the eDesign ported box.
                      i'm gonna have to rent a table saw and a rotozip from them.. but otherwise, i have mostly everything.

question: what gauge of wiring should i use for my e12K.44? I know I have to wire them in parallel (which i'm still not 100% how to do)

man.. i shoulda paid more attention in science class.

RB springs
                      Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

12 guage will suffice for speaker wire. just connect all the positives to each other, and the negatives to the negatives

Comment

can't you get them to cut the mdf for you, that's what i'm hoping for as we wpn't be buying a table saw till we move mid nov, oh well, at least my sub is here.

Comment

yeah.. home depot did all the cutting for me.
                            luckily, cuz i wouldn't of had room for all the MDF in my car.

cost an extra CDN$11 to have 15 cuts...

the box is almost done.. it's not the built the best, and i'm going to build another, to utter perfection, when i get a working area and a workbench... but for now... i'm off by 1/4 inch in a coupla spots, and that's the worst of it.. so i'm not worried.

RB springs
                            Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

If Home Depot cut all of your wood, why didn't you go with a ported designed and have them cut the ports that go inside the box? Just curious. I know it would cost more for more pieces cut, but it would be cheaper than building two boxes (one now and one later).
                              2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                              KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                              Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                              Groundkit

Comment

Working...
                              X