PDA

View Full Version : what kind of enclosure for e12k.44?

Lil Freek
10-20-2003, 10:38 PM
I'm picking up my e12k.44 next weekend, and I was wondering what kind of enclosure i should build for it?
my brother wants me to buy one, but i'd rather get the pride of building it (even if it takes a few tries to get it right)

figure this'll be the first step to making my car a DIY deal..

the site suggests either a 1cF sealed or 1.5cF ported. I don't have much time or the best workspace, so i was going to start off with a 1cF sealed.
I know there's better pros on this site that could tell me what'd be best. What i listen to is called ragga, dancehall and jungle.. that's pretty much it for the car (occasional rock radio)
so there's a fair amount of mid-bass and fair amount of low-end bass...
(for an idea, find something by General Malice or Audio1)

the second part to my question is how do i do the wiring in the box? i have a fair amount of time on my hands to read up how to do it, if that's what it takes...

blue LEDz
10-21-2003, 02:32 PM
if you've got the space in your car, and the time on your hands, build the ported box they show on their site;) it's by far the best design i've ever seen recomended by any manufacturer:biggrin: it will give you the nice low bass, with great mid bass response;) as far as wiring it goes, i'm cheap, so i just drill hole into the box, and run the wires through it, then liquid nails it in place:biggrin: if you plan on removing it, or want it to look nice, you can use terminal cups. just make sure they are properly sealed;)

Lil Freek
10-21-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by blue LEDz
as far as wiring it goes, i'm cheap, so i just drill hole into the box, and run the wires through it, then liquid nails it in place

Q: What is liquid nails?

I will build a sealed for now and then probably that ported one... my brother has all the tools, just a matter of getting his sorry ass in gear.

blue LEDz
10-21-2003, 07:07 PM
liquid nails is a very strong and thick adheasive:biggrin: go to the caulk isle of home depot, walmart, ace, whatever and get it there;) if you like low end bass, you might want to skip the sealed, unless it's purely for a learning process:biggrin: the ported drops way louder in the low freq's, ask misterT;)

edit: yeah, it might sound funny going into a store and asking where they keep the caulk:biggrin: but while you are there, you'll want to get the special vacuum that cleans up extra caulk or liquid nails. just ask for a caulk sucker, they'll know what you need:p:

walight01
10-22-2003, 12:32 PM
read blues how-to build a box in the how-to section.

MisterT
10-22-2003, 03:14 PM
I have always been a fan of sealed boxes, but Blue made me a ported box that plain kicks ass! It delivers a lot more punch without sounding too boomy and playing with the crossover, I can adjust the bass accordingly. Not all CDs are done the same. Some are too bass heavy, while others are not enough. IMO, I would go with a ported one and that case you won't lose out on quality of sound and get more output. ;)

Lil Freek
10-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Well.. since I only have a week until i pick up the sub, I'll have to build a temporary sealed box until i can find the time to build to build a ported box...
the eDesign one looks fairly simple to build (from a mathamatical standpoint).
For the temporary sealed box, I will build it real quick. won't cover it with anything and won't make it pretty.. just wire it and seal it with liquid nails.

One other question: My subs are currently facing outwards. Should my new sub be facing inwards?

blue LEDz
10-22-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Lil Freek

One other question: My subs are currently facing outwards. Should my new sub be facing inwards?

do you mean in the box? just have the subs facing outward. and have the box facing the rear of the car;)

Lil Freek
10-22-2003, 06:05 PM
yeah. i've seen people's cars where the front of the box (where the sub sticks out) pointing towards the front of the car... so it's just pummeling the people in the rear with bass...
;)

blue LEDz
10-22-2003, 06:22 PM
yeah. i've seen people's cars where the front of the box (where the sub sticks out) pointing towards the front of the car... so it's just pummeling the people in the rear with bass...
;)

the proper way to face the subs forward is to seal them off from the rest of the trunk, like in a free air setup;) facing them to the rear sounds better in most all cases, because of the way the sound waves interact with the car:biggrin:

Lil Freek
10-23-2003, 12:47 PM
I'm going to home depot to buy all the stuff i need to make the eDesign ported box.
i'm gonna have to rent a table saw and a rotozip from them.. but otherwise, i have mostly everything.

question: what gauge of wiring should i use for my e12K.44? I know I have to wire them in parallel (which i'm still not 100% how to do)

man.. i shoulda paid more attention in science class.

blue LEDz
10-24-2003, 06:49 AM
12 guage will suffice for speaker wire. just connect all the positives to each other, and the negatives to the negatives;)

pcguy2k1
10-29-2003, 11:17 PM
can't you get them to cut the mdf for you, that's what i'm hoping for as we wpn't be buying a table saw till we move mid nov, oh well, at least my sub is here.

Lil Freek
10-29-2003, 11:21 PM
yeah.. home depot did all the cutting for me.
luckily, cuz i wouldn't of had room for all the MDF in my car.

cost an extra CDN$11 to have 15 cuts...

the box is almost done.. it's not the built the best, and i'm going to build another, to utter perfection, when i get a working area and a workbench... but for now... i'm off by 1/4 inch in a coupla spots, and that's the worst of it.. so i'm not worried.

MisterT
10-30-2003, 08:49 AM
If Home Depot cut all of your wood, why didn't you go with a ported designed and have them cut the ports that go inside the box? Just curious. I know it would cost more for more pieces cut, but it would be cheaper than building two boxes (one now and one later).

Lil Freek
10-30-2003, 10:59 AM
i am building the vented box...
the inner walls (that make the port) are little crooked.. i'll probably lose some quality over that... but that's ok..
i'll just build another, later

blue LEDz
10-30-2003, 02:41 PM
pcguy2k1, home depot or lowes will cut the wood for you. it's $.25 per cut, over 2 cuts. the downside is that the wood can be up to 1/4" off:( i've found that out many times. i have them cut it 1/4" over what i need, then bring it home and cut it:biggrin:

Lil Freek
10-30-2003, 03:56 PM
the Home Depots here garantee a 1/32 inch difference, at most.. and a few of my cuts did have that extra 1/32...
not that it matters with my crooked-assed inner walls.

(will post pics of the project, tonight)

blue LEDz
10-30-2003, 04:35 PM
the Home Depots here garantee a 1/32 inch difference, at most.. and a few of my cuts did have that extra 1/32...
not that it matters with my crooked-assed inner walls.

(will post pics of the project, tonight)

no wonder it cost more than here:biggrin: that's good that they have that garauntee. here they tell you it can be 1/8 or more off:(

Lil Freek
11-03-2003, 10:46 AM
yeah.. now I have the sub, and box.
I gotta go buy some Bondo (any suggestions to the kinds/type?)
I gotta buy some weather stripping.
Need to buy wiring and hookup sub (I think I can figure that out).

-when doing the wiring, do I just fill up the holes with bondo? Where can I buy the easy clip attachment to hook up the wiring (for easy removal)
I do alot of camping and travelling, no room for sub sometimes :(

blue LEDz
11-03-2003, 05:47 PM
go to walmart to get the bondo;) it's in the automotive section with the paint. they've got small cans of it, or a gallon is like $10. you can go to radio shack for the wire cup terminals. i think they are like $4. the rectangle ones have 4 screw holes, and you can use weather stripping behind it, or liquid nails to seal it up.