Complications in engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complications in engine swap

while browsing for stuff, I found a KL-ZE engine.
    I know it'll fit in my car.. but what would all the complications be?

I'm not actually looking to buy for another year or so ($3k on suspention next spring)..
    but i'd like to know what the possible complications could be with engine swapping?

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
    RB springs
    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
    MP3 front bumper conversion

Isn't that the J-Spec engine for 2nd Gen MX-6's?

I didn't know that would fit in a Protege.
    03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege

MAM Built Block, Microtech EMS on the way

HiBoost FMIC--Greddy Profec-B SpecII--AWR Front Mount, RR-inserts in rear--Injen SRI--PLX Wideband

88 MX6 LX-Turbo - DEAD

Comment

It will not swap into 3rd gens. 1st gens it will.
      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

according to corksport, it should fit in:
        "-will fit in 4 cyl models but requires many modifications (wiring/ECU, mounts, tranny) "
        that's why i wanna know what i'll need to do/get beforehand.

There's also the FS-ZE, but that's only 170hp... don't know if it's worth US$1900 for an extra 40hp.. but i think it's worth an extra US$1700 for an extra 70hp (even if i need another US$500 in mods)

RB springs
        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Freek
          according to corksport, it should fit in:
          "-will fit in 4 cyl models but requires many modifications (wiring/ECU, mounts, tranny) "
          that's why i wanna know what i'll need to do/get beforehand.
          Does Corksport say it fits in the Protege?

93+ Probe V6
          93+ Mx6 V6
          93-97 626 V6
          92+ Mx3 V6

-will fit in 4 cyl models but requires many modifications (wiring/ECU, mounts, tranny)
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

ahh.. touche.. again, i misread ****.
            CURSES!

so FS-ZE it is, for me.

so what are the complications of getting one of these installed?

the other engine i saw on corksport is the ZL-VE... but that's the same hp as what i got, but smaller engine (assuming is cuz of VTEC)

RB springs
            Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

ahh.. touche.. again, i misread ****.
              CURSES!

so FS-ZE it is, for me.

so what are the complications of getting one of these installed?

the other engine i saw on corksport is the ZL-VE... but that's the same hp as what i got, but smaller engine (assuming is cuz of VTEC)
              Since when did Mazda have VTEC?
              2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

it's not "VTEC", but it's Variable Timing Engine.
                i'm just lazy and didn't wanna type it all... VTEC is pretty much the same thing, but Honda's... and there's more to it

RB springs
                Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

There shouldn't be many problems with the FS-ZE. It's the exact same engine with different cams, higher compression pistons, and I think maybe different intake manifold? I dunno, something like that.
                  Dan
                  dreesemonkey

Comment

yeah. i called Engine Land in Montreal.

The guy at the shop wasn't the brightest (wouldn't let them touch my car).. but he said all he had was an FS engine, not an FS-ZE... doesn't sound to me like he knew what he was talking about.
                    he said it came out of a 95-96 MX6....

i'm new to all the engine swapping 'n stuff. does that make sense?

RB springs
                    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

from what my cousin told me.. that engine uses the same basics as a VTEC.. but Honda's pretty much mastered it. whereas mazda never really built upon the technology.
                      beats me.. i'm still in the learning phase for all this (hence this thread)

RB springs
                      Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

The guy at the shop wasn't the brightest (wouldn't let them touch my car).. but he said all he had was an FS engine, not an FS-ZE... doesn't sound to me like he knew what he was talking about.

Yes it does make sense. The engine has to be imported from japan, because that's the only place I'm aware of that it's used. Perhaps in Australia as well? There is little to no chance that the place in Montreal would have the FS-ZE unless they specifically import engines from overseas.

[edit]

Oh yea, I forgot the FS engine was previously used in the Ford Probe as well as the Mazda MX-6. I'm not sure what has been changed over the years when it was put in the 3rd gen protege.

The FS-DE is the 2.0l engine that is used in the north american 3rd gen protege's
                        Last edited by funkdaddysmack; 10-21-2003, 02:05 PM.
                        Dan
                        dreesemonkey

Comment

Go check out Montrealracing.com, there's a post where some guy is testing out his distributor and you can get some real cheap. There are lots of places in Montreal that'll get you the FS-ZE, you just have to find a reliable one. This guy on montrealracing seems legit.

Here's the post:
                          Click here
                          Bob

www.midnitemekanix.com

Comment

Mazda's VRIS (Which is on the KL-ZE) opens a shorter set of runners at higher RPM's, whereas VTEC swithces over to larger cam lobes at higher RPM's.
                            03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege

MAM Built Block, Microtech EMS on the way

HiBoost FMIC--Greddy Profec-B SpecII--AWR Front Mount, RR-inserts in rear--Injen SRI--PLX Wideband

88 MX6 LX-Turbo - DEAD

Comment

anyone know what it would take to put a FS-ZE into a 99 (FP-DE current engine)?
                              My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                              JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                              AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Working...
                              X