brake size difference between 1.5L and 1.8L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake size difference between 1.5L and 1.8L

Hey guys, since i'm new to this forum i hope this question was not asked before . Anyway i owe a 98 protege LX 1.8L and last weekend i decided to change the front brake pads and rotors coz my car was shaking (vibrating) like a 2 dollar whore when i was driving faster than 120Km/h. Well, i think that the guy at AutoAvlue srewed up and gave me brake pads for 1.5L which i never noticed untill after the installation and put them on with the new rotors. I know that 1.5L and 1.8L have different #s for brake pads, however my car brakes nicely and there no vibration.
    How big is the difference between the 1.5L brake pads and 1.8L? Do i have to buy the correct ones and replace them? ....or is there a chance that something will get screwed with the braking system?
    i'd appreciate anyones input on this retarted question

cheers

this is the brake sizing different

i currently have 1.8L brakes on my 1.5L rotor.... there is about a 2-3mm pad overlap that doesnt come incontact with anything because the rotor is too small

in your case, you'd have too much rotor and too little pad
    so a portion of your rotor, on the outer most edge will not get used... and will develop rust

the car will brake properly and stop fine... but when you change your pads next time you will have to get your rotors machined... because that part that never gets used will be full of corrosion

Comment

Thanx man,
      i guess the rotors have to survive till the next sring when i'll be changing my rear breaks.

Comment

I don't know where to start, but to me this has an accident written all over it. There is every thing different between 1.5 and 1.8 front brakes. Rotors, pads, calipers, hardware, etc. Like pigeon said, 1.5 brakes just might work on the 1.8 setup, but why going through all the hastle, and chancing with your brakes. If your pad is not aligned right in the caliper, your brakes will squeel sooner or later. And, you just bought those rotors, and basically will need to trash them in the spring, or whenever you decide to get the right stuff. Those rotors might be salvageble if you turn them, but you don't want to have them laugh at you when describing how your rotors became like this in the first place. Basically, when ever you are doing work yourself, always make sure you get the right parts. And when it doesn't fit, do not chance it, always make sure its the right part, especially when it comes to brakes. Its not just your life, its also your passengers', and other people's that are out there on the road with you.
        Last edited by turbonium959; 09-03-2005, 05:16 PM.
        "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

How the hell could you not notice the difference until after you installed them??
          Did you take the old pads off while blindfolded??
          Ryan The middle child is always ignored
          BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

to pigeon i have 1.8l slotted rotors but i have a 1.5l pads wat must i do? can i jus buy 1.8l callipers n pads would it fit still in my car? if any one else no please tell me
            Chillac has been there... I think

Comment

Originally posted by Chillac
              to pigeon i have 1.8l slotted rotors but i have a 1.5l pads wat must i do? can i jus buy 1.8l callipers n pads would it fit still in my car? if any one else no please tell me
              i'll be honest with u corey, dont think that i forgot that you made me order 1.5L brake pads for your car... and when it comes time to pay you didnt reply to any emails/pm's... and pretty much ignored it while you stayed active on the rest of the forum

i never posted anything in the feedback section of the forum to be nice.... but dont ask me for help anymore.

Comment

hey man im sorry about that school stopped and i lost access to the cp im lucky to even use my sister cp....im very sorry if u order sumthing for me and i didnt come through on my half....things has been terrible fa me so i understand if u dont want to help me sorry again
                Chillac has been there... I think

Comment

i know this is an old post...but i would never get disk that have that much holes in them...no wander it was a waste of money....all u need was strategically placed holes. Should have been aware of drill design before purchase
                  Assumption is the mother of all fcukups

Comment

Originally posted by TwinCam16
                    i know this is an old post...but i would never get disk that have that much holes in them...no wander it was a waste of money....all u need was strategically placed holes. Should have been aware of drill design before purchase
                    first off you dont need holes at all.. let alone 'strategically place holes'
                    second, i bought those rotors over 3 years ago when i didnt know any better
                    lastly the picture was put up to show the size difference, not cause i cared about your opinions regarding the amount of holes

and fyi... these rotors just failed on me last night... after having them for 3 years and 100,000 kms... and a few autox/solo1 events... blanks would have lasted longer, but this was hardly a waste of money

Comment

if u didn't care about my opinion then Y did u reply.

Comment

i myself was only stating facts...look at them disk...there is no need for 'holes'. but he has less than 45% contact area with those things...it is good to see that progression has been made and he is moving on to better....BUT he seem to have took offence. so i am deeply sorry

Comment

Working...
                        X