the difrence between......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the difrence between......

Im thinking of getting either a Scion XB or a 2006 Mazda3......Mazda3 2.3 is winning my vote though...cause I have a Protege and there cool. Anyways the question is...whats the 1/4 mile diference between the sports shift automatic and the manual....i know the manual is a little faster then the regular auto...but what about the sports shift..thanks

2 1/2" Custom Exhaust, Injen Intake, Strut Bar, 17"s, Evo III Body Kit....More to Come
    2001 1.6 Liter Auto.

Sport shift = auto
    The auto shifts at most power, that is where you must shift to make the quickest pass.

Its still a slush box.

Comment

autos are for pansies

Comment

I don't know the 1/4 mile numbers, but i've consistently seen the ATX dyno ~10whp less than the 5sp.

Comment

sport shift is a cool idea, but from a car enthusiast stand point, MT is the way to go.
          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
            autos are for pansies
            5 speed all the way.
            04 3s Titanium Gray Hatch...5 speed, black and red cloth, navigation, 5 Zigen 5ZR Copse Hyper Black wheels, 6 disc cd changer, xenon, moonroof...all the options minus leather and homelink. Soon to have yellow Rockblocker fog light protection!

My Cardomain Site

Bumper Plugs

Comment

Originally posted by Protege_Joe
              Im thinking of getting either a Scion XB or a 2006 Mazda3......Mazda3 2.3 is winning my vote though...cause I have a Protege and there cool. Anyways the question is...whats the 1/4 mile diference between the sports shift automatic and the manual....i know the manual is a little faster then the regular auto...but what about the sports shift..thanks
              Have you decided yet? The Mazda 3 is really nice and with the 06 you get the auto climate control, AMB, etc. Options the 04 and 05 didn't get.
              04 3s Titanium Gray Hatch...5 speed, black and red cloth, navigation, 5 Zigen 5ZR Copse Hyper Black wheels, 6 disc cd changer, xenon, moonroof...all the options minus leather and homelink. Soon to have yellow Rockblocker fog light protection!

My Cardomain Site

Bumper Plugs

Comment

man, i didn't i noticed you said Scion Xb...i thought you were comparing the Tc....by all means, the Mazda3 over the xbox, IMHO, infact, ANYTHING over the xbox.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                  man, i didn't i noticed you said Scion Xb...i thought you were comparing the Tc....by all means, the Mazda3 over the xbox, IMHO, infact, ANYTHING over the xbox.
                  yeah my friend has one of those, and they are roomy for long drives. Thats about the only thing they have going for them.

Comment

I just got off the phone with mazda, the sport shift automatic is actually a standard transmission with a computer controlled motor that shifts the gears...which is actually called a automated transmission, I have a few semi trucks with automated transmission in them...and all they are is a standard transmission with a box of motors in top that shift the gears....

DaPro
                    94 Protege DX SOHC 1.8l 5 Speed
                    (DaPro)

its better to wait and save then to waste money on crap to get you by....

Comment

Originally posted by dapro
                      I just got off the phone with mazda, the sport shift automatic is actually a standard transmission with a computer controlled motor that shifts the gears...which is actually called a automated transmission, I have a few semi trucks with automated transmission in them...and all they are is a standard transmission with a box of motors in top that shift the gears....

DaPro
                      weird didnt realize that... I thought of it as more of an auto with the driver retaining some control.

Comment

I've driven the autos on the highway etc, it's pretty lame. First off shifts are slow and engine braking while slowing down just feels horrible. Sure, you can run the car into the redline, but way? It's useless.

The 5 speed owns. Great shifter feel and pretty quick shifts.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                        On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                        My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Originally posted by dapro

DaPro
                          perhaps you misunderstood. smells a little fishy to me, because what you just described is an SMG and if it were an SMG then they would call it that.

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
                            perhaps you misunderstood. smells a little fishy to me, because what you just described is an SMG and if it were an SMG then they would call it that.
                            then pickup the phone and call your local mazda shop, ask a mechanic in the service department....try it, they will tell you the same thing....then post YOUR results.....???

as I stated I work on these all week long, the only thing I want to know about them is what engages and disengages the clutch on the mazda 3.....on my automated shifts we still have to use the clutch when you start and stop....?

Here is a pic of a automated transmission from a semi, notice the motors on the top:
                            94 Protege DX SOHC 1.8l 5 Speed
                            (DaPro)

its better to wait and save then to waste money on crap to get you by....

Comment

It's electronically controlled...not controlled by motors. Atleast that's how I understand it.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                              On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                              My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Working...
                              X