Sub pointing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub pointing

I have a fosgate sub in a 2 cu ft. ported box.
    Now I know alot of people say it doesnt matter which way the sub is pointing but this thing is ported.

Whats the general consencous around here as to which way to point it? We were playing with a friend of mines ported pc sub and were amazed as to how much better it sounds when the port faces you instead of the speaker faceing you.

I also stuffed the box with pollyfill it gave the sound a much nicer rounded off tone to it. Opposed to haveing everyone complain of headaces in the car. I was thinking about pulling it out so the port can do its job better. Opinions

Originally posted by zerocover
    I have a fosgate sub in a 2 cu ft. ported box.
    Now I know alot of people say it doesnt matter which way the sub is pointing but this thing is ported.

Whats the general consencous around here as to which way to point it? We were playing with a friend of mines ported pc sub and were amazed as to how much better it sounds when the port faces you instead of the speaker faceing you.

I also stuffed the box with pollyfill it gave the sound a much nicer rounded off tone to it. Opposed to haveing everyone complain of headaces in the car. I was thinking about pulling it out so the port can do its job better. Opinions
    if your mounting it in your trunk, point it towards the rear of the car(the sub itself) this will give you the best restults and avoid what is called cancelation,MTX's web site is very informative along with car audio mag, ( subscribed to by me 3 years running)
    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

with most sub systems in cars, if you pointed it towards the front of the car you would lose about 3 dB due to reflected sound wave cancellations. here's a good write up about it:

course a lot of it has to do with the frequency played, which is even more of a concern when dealing with ported enclosures. around the tuning freq, nearly all the sound comes from the port, not the sub. in general it's best to have the sub and the port facing the same direction, however, i've seen and also build some that sound great with the port 90 degrees off from the sub. but in pretty much every system except extreme vehicles, point the sub(s) and port(s) to the rear or 90 degrees off that. subs facing up and ports facing back works quite well.

as for the stuffing, that's one thing that is hit or miss. sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't. it doesn't hurt to try, just make sure you keep it away from the port. i usually just staple some polyfil to the walls. i've seen people use chicken wire to hold it down. other people use regular home insulation stapled to the walls. i don't recomend fiberglass insulation because the particles could possibly get in the subs motor and cause damage.

Comment

The box is really too dam huge I find I get the best sound iff the sub is pointed back and the port is to the side.

All the other times everything sounds way too boomy, and gives me headaces. I think its tuned too high, even though it should be at some 34hz. Perhaps taking out some polyfill would help.

Comment

what are the internal dimensions of the enclosure? what is the port size and length?

Comment

2"x15.5" front with a dept of 14 at the bottom and 9 at the top. Err this is outside so just subtract the 3/4" mdf.

The port is around a foot im not to sure on that. I remember tunning it to 33-34 hz though. 4" port.

Comment

i'm guessing that was supposed to be 20"x15.5"? if so, you've got about 1.6 cu ft before subtracting sub and port displacement.

Comment

My bad 28" x 15.5" in front. The bitch is just too wide.

Eventually I hope to just pull out the small top part of the rear seat and plop a 15" in there. Possibly with some kind of plastic covering so people can sit there in a pinch. No more boomy ported boxes for me even though mine seems to hit lower then any other set up ive heard. People around here blow, I need someone to teach me the path.

Comment

corner loading is your friend... point them towards the back of the car.

-Dean
                  'I did nothing... I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!?'
                  -Dean
                  2003.5 Vivid Yellow Protege5

Mods:
                  18" G-Racing Kirins - hyper black
                  Eibach Pro-Line lowering springs
                  MazdaSpeed Axelback Exhaust
                  Injen CAI - Polished
                  Tinted windows. Llumar 35front 2&hatch glass/25middle roll down glass/18backside4
                  DaveB trim rings
                  Painted Calipers - G2

Stereo:
                  Alpine CVA-1005 - 6.5" LCD Reciever.
                  Alpine DVA-5210 - DVD/WMA/CD/MP3 Player
                  Alpine ERA-G320 - EQ/Surround processor.
                  Kicker IX-405D 5 Channel Amp
                  Kicker 12" L5's in bandpass enclosure (2 of them)
                  Kicker K-57.2 Components up front
                  Kicker K-65 in back.

Future Mods?

Turbo?

Comment

I have the port to the passangers side and the sub pointing back now. NIce sound but its alot quieter then ever. At least its not boomy anymore.

Comment

so you are working with more like 2.47 cu ft before sub and port displacement? got the specs on the port yet?

Comment

13" is the port length
                        0.042cuft is the speaker displacement

Comment

Originally posted by zerocover
                          13" is the port length
                          0.042cuft is the speaker displacement

well you should be peaking at about 34 hz. are you using any bass boost?

Comment

Nothing at all, the origional idea was to have the sub hit nice and low so the speakers didn't have to. The sub was designed so I could save the speakers the need to be pushed too low, Ive shreaded my fair share.

All the bass boost stuff is turned off. Its strange becuase some songs seem to hit really hard like they rattle you down to your bones but others it wouldn't matter iff I had no sub at all.
                            Where should I have the sub highpassed to? its at 90hz now. I was thinking of droping that though, even lower.

Comment

you should have a subsonic/infrasonic filter on the sub around 20-22 hz and a low pass somewhere between 50-80 hz. everything else should be high passed between 60-100 hz. start with the sub low passed at 50 hz and everything else high passed at 100 hz, then slowly increase the low pass on the sub until it blends well with the other speakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X