RX-7 FC 4 piston calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RX-7 FC 4 piston calipers

I know these fit the Protege, but the only time I've seen it is combined with Honda Odessey rotors.

There was a post about it on the old forum, but it was old....

Does anyone know if the calipers will fit the stock Protege rotors?

What calipers can I use for the rear? I want calipers than clamp harder than the stock ones.... Miata? RX-7? MX-6? What will fit?

Thanks.
    Bob

www.midnitemekanix.com

I also looked into Odessey rotors.... Uh... 5 bolt. How did that guy make them fit? I know he was from Malasya or something, but should that really make a difference?

I'm confused. I don't like being confused. Someone clear this up for me please.
    Bob

www.midnitemekanix.com

Comment

I dug up that thread for ya:

Sounds like allot of custom fabrication that would have to be done by a pro. unless your handy.
      2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Originally posted by Bizob
        I also looked into Odessey rotors.... Uh... 5 bolt. How did that guy make them fit? I know he was from Malasya or something, but should that really make a difference?

I'm confused. I don't like being confused. Someone clear this up for me please.
        He had the rotors re drilled to fit. There has to be an easier way....
        -Dave

Comment

okay, whoa there cowboy! :D

The brakes on our pros are adequate as they are. You're better off routing some ducting to the brakes and slotting the brake discs. Two slots will do.

As for the rears... Our Pros have a 70/30 (roughly) front brake bias for a reason. If you increase your braking power in the rear, the rear tires will lock up sooner.
          Let's say you're on the freeway and you have to make a power stop. You apply the brakes hard and those new, strong, rear brakes are going to lock up far before the fronts will. *crash*

When our cars brake, a majority of our cars weight will be in the front, and, thus, you want the front brakes to do more of the stopping than the rear.

This is what I'm going to do with my brakes when I have the time.
          Bryan
          MOCC MEMBER

-"Mean people rule."

Originally posted by midnightblue97
          Thought the oil pump was run off the timing belt??

Comment

Right. I do know how brakes work. I wanted to do the conversion to the front first, and to the back if it works. I'm not dumb to the point of putting huge brakes in back and leave the stock ones in front.

I already have cross drilled rotors, I already have high performance pads. It's still not good enough. I want more pistons in my calipers. :D

I suppose the stock brakes are adequate, but the stock suspension was adequate and the stock powerplant was adequate and the stock styiling was adequate and..... I don't like adequate. I like awesome. Brakes are next.
            Bob

www.midnitemekanix.com

Comment

I agree with bizob. Our cars have potential. Why say no to new ideas?
              I found out how to beat a Honda! Just about anyway you can think of. Even in reverse. <- my buddy Mike: Haha, your Civic is a pile of vtech crap! Zoom-Zoom!

Comment

Hi guys,

new to your forum but that "Telstar" is actually a cousin of the 626, and it has 5 bolt pattern so the Odessey rotor might just fit as well as many other 5 bolt rotor like even form an FC. That's a nice car tho, even has a FE3T.

Back to the brakes, i think on the 2nd or 3rd gen protege, they have the same brakes as the 2nd gen probe or Mx6, also 5 bolt, then the brake swap could work. I've always wonder if the whole upright, spindle n wheel hub, can be swap over from the later protege to have a 5 bolt on a first gen?

Comment

bigger brakes aren't going to help you brake any faster...

Go out, do 60 mph, and STAB the brakes as hard as you can.....if you lock up the tires, then you don't need brakes.....you need more traction. SIMPLE AS THAT.
                  "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                  -93 MR2, 129 ES
                  ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                  Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

hehe, sorry guys, see the correct page for his familia, it seems like a direct bolt on! That's indeed interesting news. I will check it when I have time this weekend. I do have both item with me already. Caliper is off 87-91 FC either GSL or TII. Calipers are the same on both but TII have bigger rotor.

Comment

I do need better brakes cause I can't lock up my wheels. That's not reassuring.
                      Bob

www.midnitemekanix.com

Comment

I would like bigger and better but not that hp racing kit, it's way to expensive. I hope we can gather enough info on this. My brakes are stopping fine, but just the power slots, ss lines, and pads aren't working super good. I get a good deal of fade. could it be the Ceramic pads?
                        I found out how to beat a Honda! Just about anyway you can think of. Even in reverse. <- my buddy Mike: Haha, your Civic is a pile of vtech crap! Zoom-Zoom!

Comment

Fade? When do you get fadE? how hard are you braking?
                          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

you guys....if you cannot get them to lockup, or you're getting fade, you have a mechanical issue with your braking system. Rather than spending a ton of money on some customized kit, i'd get my braking system working again.

My car was able to lock up my Falken Azenis on concrete at 70mph. Being that you won't really find a stickier tire, and I just had pads, fresh fluid, and new rotors, I think I can say that you guys have some issue.
                            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                            -93 MR2, 129 ES
                            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                              you guys....if you cannot get them to lockup, or you're getting fade, you have a mechanical issue with your braking system. Rather than spending a ton of money on some customized kit, i'd get my braking system working again.

My car was able to lock up my Falken Azenis on concrete at 70mph. Being that you won't really find a stickier tire, and I just had pads, fresh fluid, and new rotors, I think I can say that you guys have some issue.
                              What can it be? What sort of mechanical problem? I need to know because my brakes are so bad, they feel unsafe. My car is put away now, but I would still like to have an idea as to what I should do about it in the spring....
                              Bob

www.midnitemekanix.com

Comment

Working...
                              X