Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEED - howto: port your box

someone pls write?

i have a sub/box combo and the box is suited for porting on this particular sub. so pls someone teach me how! thx!

Tag Team

if the box was designed to be a "convertable" box, then it should have come with what is needed to change it to ported. if not, then you need to cut a round hole for PVC, and make the port yourself. does sony recomend what size box and port diameter and length? i don't have the specs on the sub, so i can't run it for you. what model # is the sub, and what's the volume of the box?

Comment

the model of sub is in my sig, and the box volume is 1.5cc

according to crutchfield, the port is supposed to be 3" in diameter and 8" long
      Tag Team

Comment

WARNING: noob question

what is "porting"?
        My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
        JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
        AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Re: WARNING: noob question

Originally posted by glyph
          what is "porting"?

a port or vent is a chamber of air that "tunes" a box to a specific frequency. it utilizes the rear sound wave from inside the box and amplifies it. if it's not properly calculated, it won't be tuned right for what you want, or it will create port noise. around the tuned freq the sound will be greater than sealed. once you get to about an octave above the tuned freq (double the freq), the box begins to act more and more like a sealed enclosure, so SQ is not really an issue when properly tuned

JProtege, i'd go with a longer than 8" port. that will tune the box to 35 hz, which is too high, IMO. use at least 12", which will tune it to 30 hz. or 14" to tuned it to 28 hz

Comment

ok blue, but uh. . . so how do i go about doin it? dont forget im t00pid
            Tag Team

Comment

i'm not sure how it's setup with your box already, but typically just cut a hole a little smaller than the diameter of PVC, and jam some PVC through it the use liquid nails on the back side to hold it in place, and seal it up

Comment

hmm, ok. . . i guess i'll need a 3" drill bit. thx
                Tag Team

Comment

Originally posted by JProtege
                  hmm, ok. . . i guess i'll need a 3" drill bit. thx

you'll need a hole cutter bit, or a rotozip, or a jigsaw, or a router

Comment

I have a sealed box for my 2 subs, would you reccomend porting it? Also, do you know any tips for getting the licence plate and nd rear bumper to stop rattleing while I have it cranked up? There is a picture down below here of my setup.

Comment

Originally posted by protegewill
                      I have a sealed box for my 2 subs, would you reccomend porting it? Also, do you know any tips for getting the licence plate and nd rear bumper to stop rattleing while I have it cranked up? There is a picture down below here of my setup.

it's a personal preference, but i love ported boxes they get louder and are more efficient. if you want more low frequency response, porting your box is the way to do it was your box custom made? how large are the cambers?

for the liscense plate, remove it and put felt tabs on the back side of it all around the edges. for the bumper, make sure all the fasteners are tightened. i've heard of people removing all the fasteners and using rubber washers to reduce the vibration.

Comment

where do i get liquid nails again?? and besides liquid nails, is there any other way to hold the pvc in place securely?
                        Tag Team

Comment

Re: Re: WARNING: noob question

Originally posted by blue LEDz

JProtege, i'd go with a longer than 8" port. that will tune the box to 35 hz, which is too high, IMO. use at least 12", which will tune it to 30 hz. or 14" to tuned it to 28 hz
                          will using two ports 3" in diamater and 7" long be the same as one 3" diameter, 14" long?

the box enclosure is only 14" long on a few sides.
                          Tag Team

Comment

you can get liquid nails at walmart or any hardware store. it's only like $1 or 2 per tube. i'd use liquid nails, since silicone is too soft, and glue is too runny, and won't really secure it. the other option would be to fiberglass it in, which is a pain for such a small job

you can't use two 3" ports the way you are thinking. i wish it was that easy. you'd have to run two 3" ports that are each 30" long it's a matter of getting a specific air resistance in the vent, so increasing the diameter, you decrease the resistance. your best bet is to use an elbow

Comment

hmm an elbow huh? so i could go to home depot and buy a segment that is 6" long, an elbow, and another 6" long segment?
                              Tag Team

Comment

Working...
                              X