KL-ZE questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KL-ZE questions

First of all, if there is any sort of FAQ for this specific engine point me to it and disregard the rest of this post.
    If not, what would be the minimum octane requirements? being run in the North american markets? IIRC the way octane is rated is slightly different in the rest of the world. I'll just assume that regular is out, but what about midgrade?? Or premium all the way??
    Are there any common/known problems or issues that one should be aware of?
    Aside from Japan, I don't know where else this engine was available, though I will assume that it was available almost everywhere except North America, where would one purchase a FSM in english? NZ?? U.K.?
    Aside from the ECu, and some mechanical parts, is everything else, basically compatible with the KL-DE from th MX-6 like sensors, belts, plugs etc should any of these need to be replaced??
    Thats about it. Thanks.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

http://www.mx-3.com/index.cfm for topics.

Thats a pretty good start.

just live on the MX-3 forum for a week or so and you should pick up alot of good knowledge about the KL.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Fo shizzle, thanks jigga.
      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Are you planning a KL-ZE swap in your 2nd gen, Ryan?

The thought has crossed my mind many times (and so have others) but due to emissions testing and strict rules in my state it would be extremely difficult to legalize (impossible) the vehicle after such a swap.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
          First of all, if there is any sort of FAQ for this specific engine point me to it and disregard the rest of this post.
          If not, what would be the minimum octane requirements? being run in the North american markets? IIRC the way octane is rated is slightly different in the rest of the world. I'll just assume that regular is out, but what about midgrade?? Or premium all the way??
          Are there any common/known problems or issues that one should be aware of?
          Aside from Japan, I don't know where else this engine was available, though I will assume that it was available almost everywhere except North America, where would one purchase a FSM in english? NZ?? U.K.?
          Aside from the ECu, and some mechanical parts, is everything else, basically compatible with the KL-DE from th MX-6 like sensors, belts, plugs etc should any of these need to be replaced??
          Thats about it. Thanks.
          klze in ur 2nd gen?

Comment

No and no.
            Correct me if I'm wrong, but the BH chassis 323f came with a K series in Europe and ****, so I think it might be possible, but I have not the money, nor the time to do any research as to wether the subframe, etc would bolt up the the second gen platform and all that jazz.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
              No and no.
              Correct me if I'm wrong, but the BH chassis 323f came with a K series in Europe and ****, so I think it might be possible, but I have not the money, nor the time to do any research as to wether the subframe, etc would bolt up the the second gen platform and all that jazz.
              Its known you can put a KL into a first gen with all the parts. (link)

It is also known that you can put a BP from a 1st gen into a 2nd gen using stock mounts/other crap (link)

Since A=B and B=C, I would wage good money that A=C

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                Its known you can put a KL into a first gen with all the parts. (link)

It is also known that you can put a BP from a 1st gen into a 2nd gen using stock mounts/other crap (link)
                Well, yeah. But there were a few first gens equipped with the K-8 from the factory as test mules that fell into the hands of the public, plus that the Mx-3 was basically a BG chassis and had the K series.
                The Second gens came with the BP from the factory too, so it shouldn't be too unusual to fit one from a first gen or even a Miata into them.

BUT, I don't know how the North Am. second gen might differ from the 323F. Which IIRC had a K series.
                Catch my drift??

Comment

Gotcha... sorry dont know squat about specifics for the 323F. If you don find some, post them up here, I'd be interested in reading about the 323F as well.

Comment

Im thinkin it should GO IN, but getting to run might be a little harder than the 1st gen. But instead of using the 90-94 mx3 parts, use the 95 MX3 GS parts and it might make it a whole lot easier, isnt the 95 mx3 obd2,? and is the 2nd gen pro obd 2? ii dont know much about the 95 mx3's and or th 2nd gen proteges..

Comment

Originally posted by jitb37
                      But instead of using the 90-94 mx3 parts, use the 95 MX3 GS parts and it might make it a whole lot easier, isnt the 95 mx3 obd2,? and is the 2nd gen pro obd 2?
                      You are right. And again, I would've done it had it not been for the dumb laws here in California.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                        You are right. And again, I would've done it had it not been for the dumb laws here in California.
                        No, you should NOT use the 95 MX parts.

If the 2nd gen uses the same parts as the 1st gen, and the 95 MX3 parts gave you trouble on the 1st gen then why use them on the 2nd gen??

The wiring is a different issue. IDK if they even made the KL overseas in 95 (ODB-II) models later on. I am sure they did, and if so, I would look into getting one of those for the harness. For simplicity, a piggy back system would probably be best.

Comment

I thought he was implying the electrical stuff. Pardon my ignorance, but why is the 95 MX-3 mechanically different? Is it a different generation?

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                            I thought he was implying the electrical stuff. Pardon my ignorance, but why is the 95 MX-3 mechanically different? Is it a different generation?
                            When jitb did his swap he used 95 MX-3 parts and he had problems with stuff being shorter and not lining up and other stuff like that... http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...2&postcount=14

lol, come to think of it he probably was referring to the electrical stuff. I just saw parts and thought he meant everything.

Comment

If it were possible, why would one not just find a bh 323F front clip and use that?? I realize that would cost money to find and import......
                              Remember even the 95 and 96 MX3s were still BG chassis.

Comment

Working...
                              X