i have yet another transmission problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have yet another transmission problem

I think my throwout bearing went out. i have a p5 with 87k miles on it. my transmission replaced at 50k due to internal problems, and now its messed up again. when at idle with the clutch pressed in, it seems normal, let the clutch out in nuetral, it makes a loud scretching sound. drive in reverse and gears 1-4 it scretches. if you are rolling and the car isn't in gear reguardless of pressing or depressing the clutch, it scretches, the only time it works fine is when i am in 5th gear, or not moving at all and the clutch is pressed in. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I just make a 1300 miles trip on it and I'm stuck in pittsburgh at the moment until i can figure out what to do.

does anyone know the price of the throwout bearing and roughly how much it cost to install.
    '02 classic red p5
    currently enrolled in AA.

Throwout bearings usually make noise with the pedal down, not up. It's not under any load unless the pedal is pressed.
    It makes noise in neutral, 1st thru 4th, and reverse, but not in 5th? Weird. Sounds more like a transmission problem than a clutch problem. Does it shift okay? Any crunches when you shift, or popping out of gear or anything?
    ~Mark.
    2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

what tools do you need edwin???
      '02 classic red p5

Comment

Originally posted by Mark 02dx
        Throwout bearings usually make noise with the pedal down, not up. It's not under any load unless the pedal is pressed.
        It makes noise in neutral, 1st thru 4th, and reverse, but not in 5th? Weird. Sounds more like a transmission problem than a clutch problem. Does it shift okay? Any crunches when you shift, or popping out of gear or anything?
        if i was rolling it was pretty hard to downshift. if i was stopped or accel, it was easy. i did a fluid dump trying to see if that would help, and it helped the shifting alot, but thats about it.

edit
        i just got off the phone with mazda and a few other transmission shops, and they all said it sounds like the bearings inside of it.
        Last edited by walight01; 10-22-2003, 11:37 AM.
        '02 classic red p5

Comment

well we decided to drive it to mazda and just let them listen to it, and half way there, the noise stopped. the tech who drove my car said it may have been some grit or somehting in one of the bearings and it just took until now to wear down so it could get out, he just said do another flush on it and i should be ok. he said it shifts real smooth and feels good so maybe I lucked out. whats worse is the tech at the shop told me get they a few 2.0L transmission problems a month, and that scares me.
          '02 classic red p5

Comment

Working...
          X