Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

straight answers on speaker replacement

Hi,

I want to replace my stock speakers on my protege since the two right ones are blown.

I don't want to spend alot of money or alot of time installing them.

Could someone tell me what size the front speakers are, and what size the back speakers are?

I want everything to fit right into the factory holes with little modifications.

In the stickies, there seems to be a pretty big confusion as to what size the front speakers and rear speakers are.

I did this for a living for the longest, so I am well burnt out from talking about speakers and figuring size out.

Could someone please tell me what size speakers will fit the factory holes so that I can begin to look for a cheap set?

Thank you for your help.

The car is a 92 Protege.
    93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

0w20, EG Fram Oil Filter for Probe 2.5L, Magnetic Drain Plug, ebay cone filter, 03 Protege Rotors, moog sway bar end-links on rear sway bar, mx3 seats, Power Sunroof, Miata Valve Cover Bolts, Gatorback Belts, Timing *14 on 87 Oct, Autolite 3924 @ .043 - 35 mpg at 67 mph (95% highway driving) with A/C and headlights on. Untested for fuel economy: Sylvania EcoBright 9004, .717 5th gear with D6 ATF, NGK wires, 195/65/15 Kumho LRR 4 wire tps

Former Car: 92 Protege DX 5 spd.

If you want to play it safe and relieve yourself from extra modifications, put 5 1/4's in your front doors and 6 1/2's in your rear dash.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
      If you want to play it safe and relieve yourself from extra modifications, put 5 1/4's in your front doors and 6 1/2's in your rear dash.
      thanks for the straight answer on this.....I am so burnt out and lazy hehe

I knew something was up. I checked multiple websites and each one said something else. Some said 6 1/2 all the way around.

I just don't want to stress it no more.

Thanks bud.
      93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

0w20, EG Fram Oil Filter for Probe 2.5L, Magnetic Drain Plug, ebay cone filter, 03 Protege Rotors, moog sway bar end-links on rear sway bar, mx3 seats, Power Sunroof, Miata Valve Cover Bolts, Gatorback Belts, Timing *14 on 87 Oct, Autolite 3924 @ .043 - 35 mpg at 67 mph (95% highway driving) with A/C and headlights on. Untested for fuel economy: Sylvania EcoBright 9004, .717 5th gear with D6 ATF, NGK wires, 195/65/15 Kumho LRR 4 wire tps

Comment

You can make 6 1/2 work in the front without too much trouble, but you have to cut a spacer for it. I would just go with the 5 1/4 if you want it to be an easy install.

Comment

from what i read, mazda actually used different size speakers during the 1st gen era, which is why it is difficult to get a straight answer. i really don't know, as i have never worked on a 1st gen.

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
            from what i read, mazda actually used different size speakers during the 1st gen era, which is why it is difficult to get a straight answer. i really don't know, as i have never worked on a 1st gen.
            joy, back to square one maybe....hope this doesn't mean that I might have to take the speakers out and measure them in advance....(which would interfere with lazyness) lol

Maybe I could buy them from someplace with a more liberal return policy such as walmart for example.

Any links on how to get to the door speakers btw? I saw a few items on removing other generations' door panels but none on the 1st gen. (Unless I have overlooked it)

...thanks for the info from yourself and the last poster....
            93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

Comment

1. Take the window handle off. There's a C-clip behind it, if you take two screwdrivers to it you can pop it off pretty easily, and then the handle slides right off.

2. Take out the screw from the latch handle.

3. Take out the screws from the big bar handle.

4. I *think* there is a screw behind the handle that angles down next to the latch... I can't remember because mine's been broken off since the first week I had it.

5. Pull the edges of the door panel and it will just pop off. It's only held by little plastic clips after that.
              Attached Files

Comment

brilliant...thanks!
                93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

Comment

I don't know if they may have switched at any point, the openings are rather large for a 5 1/4 inch speaker. The factory speakers have always been 5 1/4 inches in diameter in the front doors. Most 5 1/4's fit in the front doors just fine with drilling a few holes for the new speakers. SOME 6 1/2 speakers fit in the same holes, however, the mounting depth makes it nearly impossible without using/fabricating speaker adapters for them. Usually, you can find Pioneer or Kenwood 6 1/2 speakers that fit without much modification, however, they will sound like crap and still run the risk of hitting the window when you roll it down. If you want the easy route, just slap in 5 1/4 inch speakers.
                  Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
                    I don't know if they may have switched at any point, the openings are rather large for a 5 1/4 inch speaker. The factory speakers have always been 5 1/4 inches in diameter in the front doors. Most 5 1/4's fit in the front doors just fine with drilling a few holes for the new speakers. SOME 6 1/2 speakers fit in the same holes, however, the mounting depth makes it nearly impossible without using/fabricating speaker adapters for them. Usually, you can find Pioneer or Kenwood 6 1/2 speakers that fit without much modification, however, they will sound like crap and still run the risk of hitting the window when you roll it down. If you want the easy route, just slap in 5 1/4 inch speakers.
                    Kevin
                    ok, so I take it that 5 1/4 will fit up front no matter what.....

will 6 1/2 fit the rear no matter what?

I am getting confused with what might have actually switched during the years and what definitely remained constant.

Thanks
                    93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

Comment

As far as I know the rear is always 6.5"

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                        As far as I know the rear is always 6.5"
                        ok seems settled then.....i will let you know how i made out if possible
                        93 EGT 5M, Bimini Blue

132k miles, DD only

Comment

Working...
                        X