Fiberglass or Urethane??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiberglass or Urethane??

I am going to get a new bumper and eventually the whole kit for my car and was wondering if the urethane J-spec bumper(corksport) is a whole lot more durable than the fiberglass erebuni bumper. It makes sense that it would be more tolerable to bottoming out. The j-spec bumper also looks like it might not be as low as the erebuni which is an issue cause my car already bottoms out in the front in a few places.
    thanks
    -tony
    -tony

-
    -tony

Comment

one of my friends had a urethene on his crx and hit a lady really hard and just bend the kit back in place and u couldnt even tell i know fiberglass would of got messed up
      i is dumb

Comment

Urethane is better than fiberglass....there's really not much to discuss. Fiberglass is less expensive and easier to work with but as far as what you want on your vehicle...urethane.

I've been looking at the same JDM bumper...it's nice(and has a place for fog lights)

Comment

urethane is definantly better.... i really wish we could get the body kit from body kits unlimited though in the philippines.. i'm still trying to get someoen to ship it over so we can have copies made of it.... but as far as state side goes the jspec bumper is most durable and looks nice
          In the Garage
          Black 93 MX-3 GS
          Bp powered
          GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
          MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

The fiber glass one looks better though but truthfully the urethane one would be stronger but also when my front was on, I would botom out in it and it would run the paint off.. same thing is gonna happen to yours.... as long as you dont go extremely fast... another thing to take into consideration.... is there a jspec kit? i dont think there is... and the other 3 pieces to he erebuni kit may look weird with the jspec front..... also wtih the jspec you have to remove the bumper itself and not jus the cover... and thats just something I couldnt do when I decided of fear of a front end collision and my life

Comment

So all you had to remove to put your erebuni bumper on was plastic???
              -tony

Comment

yea the bumper cover just comes off and then you put the new one on... you will have to make some brackets though but just get the bolts and the brackets painted when you get it painted and put you wont see them

Comment

thanks for the info everyone...
                  -tony

Comment

anytime yo!

Comment

The JSPEC bumper is definatly more durable..better fit too!

BTW Asylum, would love to see close-ups of your Erebuni front in regards to the attaching...cause, as far as I knew, you had to take out the rebar, i thought it wouldnt fit otherwise...

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                      1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                      Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

well kdawg... remember I dont ahve hte front end anymore or else I would show you... it fit fine except in the very middle but htats cuz of how the shop attached it so Im gonna fix it when I get a new one put on. but no it will fit with it still on... the back you have to take the support out of

Comment

Oh, i didnt know tha about the rear...hmmm...maybe i should look into a custom rear...i already have NO rebar in the front, i should AT LEAST have one in the rear end!!!

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                          1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                          Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

I wouldn't even think of taken out the crash bar in the back. The front I can deal with mainly because I can swerve or whatever to get out the way and avoid hitting someone. But if someone hits me in the back with no crashbar, I would seriously be screwed.

Anyway

my thoughts on fiberglass... It is semi-strong, but chips to easily. Not just anyone can paint it also. You need someone that is experienced with Fiberglass painting.
                            Also if you hit someone that's it for your bumper, fiber glass cracks and tears upon impact.

Urethane I like, becuase it won't give in to minor hits, holds it's form, won't crack or tear unless something major happens.
                            The Jspec bumper is pretty strong by my standards. People have bumped into my bumper thus the chipped paint on the bumper and it has sustained no damage other than the chipped paint.

I just wish Corksport would make the front lip and the side skirts in urethane. I don't know how much extra it would cost but I am pretty sure many would pay.
                            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

the thing I like about mine... when I hit that crub it basically just took out the middle section of the bumper and left the rest along so that was good for me... if i had hte urethane one... it prolly owuld have taken the whole thing off and maybe bent a fender or 2... so this way bye bye bumper but not bye bye bumper and fenders

Comment

Working...
                              X