AC Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC Problems

I have a 2001 ES and the AC just stopped working. The problem is intermittent which is worrisome in that I have it at the dealership today and last time it was used, it worked. If I have it on defrost mode and it is on heat, and I switch it over to cold, it won't get cold. Even if I put the vents on, it blows hot air. At best it would blow plain air. This has happened 2-3 times and now the AC works fine. I just hope they can pin point the problem.

I have heard other people on the site that keeps shutting down that they have had problems with their HVAC in their Protege. I haven't had any other problems other than light dimming, but that is do to the stereo's current draw. Otherwise, it has been a reliable car with no problems other than this current one.

On a side note, the AC button when pressed (Green) started flashing every now and then before these problems occured. I don't know if it is a precursor to the problem or what. I hope they fix it while it is in it's final months of warranty. PLEASE!! :p:
    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
    Groundkit

maybe you are low on ac coolant?

BTW I moved the thread to 3rd gen, its not an OT thread
    Sagaris

Comment

If the green AC light is flashing, I believe that indicates that it's sending a message/note to the internal computer...
      If you bring it to your dealership, they should be able to read it for free

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
      RB springs
      Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
      MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

I have read in other posts here that the light, when on, indicutes the compressor is active. If it is off, it isn't.
        My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
        JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
        AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

It's at the shop today. The AC won't work after it's in defrost mode (on hot). Then in the afternoon when things warm up and there is no fogged up windows, I switch to cold AC and turn the knob to the vents to blow on you, and whammo, hot air or just plain air. I am hoping they find something wrong with it while it is under warranty. I haven't been called nor paged at work, so hopefully they are taking care of it. Warranty expires at the end of the year.

Groundkit

Comment

No Problem Found

This sucks! No problem found. They topped the freon (spelling?) and injected a dye that can detect leaks under a black light should the AC just blow air, but otherwise, no explanation with the light blinking and the AC blowing hot air. The service people looked baffled. They told me to bring in if it does the same right away so that they can figure it out from there. Although the dealership I don't care for particularly, their service deptmnt. is really good. Hats off to them. No voltage drops neither. I was hoping for a cure all to the problem. Oh well.

Groundkit

Comment

did they tell you to come back after a few days of driving around with the dye in the system? That is typically what our service department does. We inject the dye and have the customer bring the car back to us in 2 days then check it for leaks.
              Sagaris

Comment

I found out that one of the "clips" that holds the selenoids in place behind the dash along the firewall came detached. The vents usually get stuck when you turn it from hot to cold, but some how it was moving back and forth without moving the mechanism from hot to cold. I know it came off when I took the factory radio out several months ago. Funny thing is, was he was pointing it out and telling me that whoever took the radio out did this and did that, hence ME, but I played it off, like those damn stereo shops don't care about any one's car but their own. Still don't know why the thing was blinking, as it hasn't happened in so long, but as long as i have my AC, I am happy.:p:

Groundkit

Comment

Working...
                X