Alternator swap in 1st gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator swap in 1st gen

1st gen's have a 65 Amp alternator, correct? Will the 80 Amp alternator in the second gen's bolt up and work for gen 1's?

If not, what alternator could I use that would bolt up and give me more juice?

Thanks dukes.
    Tricks get applause... Style gets respect.

go to a local alternator repair shop. they have the info on your alt and what other cars share your alt. if they can find a larger case alt from another vehicle that fits your car, preferably a ford or GM case, then you can easily get up to a 200 amp alternator to fit your needs.

Comment

100-180amp alt's for teh mazdas on eBay.

Its what I plan to go with once I get my MX-3 running and my system installed.

lol, forgot to hit paste for the linky...

Get the best deals on Stores HUB when you shop the largest online selection at eBay.com. Free shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands | affordable prices.
      Last edited by D323; 09-16-2005, 03:07 PM.
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

thanks to mazdaracer for this:

but a 90amp alternator is pretty easy to fit in.

Comment

I think a custom bracket has to be fabbed for the v6 one though...

Comment

nope, the bolt is just reversed. All i had to get was a longer bolt with a head that fit into the recess mold in the alt. No custom bracket needed

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
              nope, the bolt is just reversed. All i had to get was a longer bolt with a head that fit into the recess mold in the alt. No custom bracket needed
              ah ok, my bad. Dunno why I thought that there was soemthing custom that had to be done... maybe I am thinking of the MPV alternator or something.

Comment

It's also said the RX7 (dunno what years) also fits. i think its 100amp.

but the 1.8L or 2.5L V6 alts are both 90amp.

Comment

lol, I am just gonna go with the 180 amp that is offered on ebay. No thinking about it, and direct bolt in. More than enough amps for my small system in the car too.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                    lol, I am just gonna go with the 180 amp that is offered on ebay. No thinking about it, and direct bolt in. More than enough amps for my small system in the car too.
                    are those reliable ones? or one of those no-name brands? coz it would be definitely be good to have 180amps to play with.

Comment

dunno, afaik no one on the board has one. I will once my car is running and I have a few of the bills under control.

Comment

Keep in mind any electrical components you may need to upgrade with getting such a powerful alternator. Sure a 90 amp alternator is no big deal, but you'll still need to upgrade wiring and what have you. Wouldn't want to start an electrical fire or short over stupidity :p:. IE.. research a little
                        kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
                          Keep in mind any electrical components you may need to upgrade with getting such a powerful alternator. Sure a 90 amp alternator is no big deal, but you'll still need to upgrade wiring and what have you. Wouldn't want to start an electrical fire or short over stupidity :p:. IE.. research a little
                          kevin
                          excellent point I had not considered. I wonder with fuses and everything that if it would be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                            excellent point I had not considered. I wonder with fuses and everything that if it would be ok.

you'd need to upgrade the cable from the battery to the alt as well as the ground cable from the engine to the chassis. it would also be a wise idea to upgrade the battery to the chassis cable. there's no sense in upgrading the alt so much if you don't upgrade the wiring. it's like using a garden hose instead of a fire hose to put out a fire.

Comment

200 amp alternator huh blueledz... ohh the possibilities.. just not for the 3rd gens with the retarded setup
                              Joe H
                              2000 Chevy Impala
                              3400 3.4 Liter V6
                              Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
                              U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
                              Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

Comment

Working...
                              X