MSP on the snow....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSP on the snow....

Hey, i just want to start by saying wussup to everyone, im new..
    I live in MASS. Boston and in about to get a Mazdaspeed.
    Can anyone tell me how it handles in the snow? cuz it snows alot over here. are the tires ready for snow? And are there anyone from thise forum from MASS. boston?? I'v been ready about alot of bad things on the MSP.. so i am still kinda debating.. I just sold my Mitsu. eclipse GST turbo. so i am familar with turbo set ups.
    I think my 1st mod will be front mount intercooler and HKS BOV.
    Anyone have any advise for me? And also debating about the color to pick, im thinking either yellow or the blue.. they both are nice.. I wanna get one before the year is over to catch the good deals, or should i get a '04 ? are they still coming out in '04?

Thanks !
    TBO

2004 will not have the MSP - nor the Protege for that matter.

The entire Protege line is being replaced by the upcoming Mazda3.

As far as snow goes - it's should be interesting. The MSP has different tires than my car ('02 P5 - Dunlop Sport 5000 tires), but the P5 sure ain't the greatest in the slick stuff. Especially in deeper snow. With the slightly lowered stance of the MSP vs. the P5, and the higher-performace, lower-profile 17" tire package, I'd expect the MSP to be as bad if not a little worse than the P5 in snow.

If snow is of great concern to you, you may want to consider a winter wheel/tire package. Instead of spending the money on an intercooler and BOV right away, maybe invest $500 in a good winter setup and a hydraulic floor jack . It'll also save those sweet-looking Racing Hart rims from the terrors of road salt. Think about it.

Besides - the MSP already HAS an intercooler, doesn't it?

As far as color - your call. Personally, I prefer the Spicy Orange and the Gunmetal (whatever that color is called). Black Mica is schweet, too. I like the Laser Blue, but for the MSP I think I prefer the other colors - especially since the Orange in unique to the MSP.

I'm not sure what "problems" there are with the MSP that you are referring to. Every car has its flaws, but as far as I know there are no serious issues with any of the Protege models. Minor gripes are just that - minor.

~HH

Comment

hey thanks for the info, im still thinking about it, since its a limited edition car. do you think i can still find one at the dealership for maybe like 17Gs? it sucks to not have them for 04.. which year did the MSP became avalible?
      I dont think they have any used MSPs for sale out here yet , hmm...
      TBO

Comment

I'd REALLY look into getting a set of steelies with snow tires. The tires that come on the MSP are going to be bad in the snow. The one thing going for you is the LSD, but it's not going to help that much.
        "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
        -93 MR2, 129 ES
        ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
        Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

my brother and i have the Blizzak LM-22.. i just got mine (so i haven't used them), but my brother had them on his P5 last winter.. said it made a WORLD of a difference.
          I can't wait for snow...

I think there are only 2 models of MSP (please correct me if i'm wrong), the 2003 and 2003.5

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
          RB springs
          Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
          MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

im hoping it will ice in dallas like it did last year, took my friends ser spec-v out on the ice and it was the most fun i've had in a car, tried to take my z28 out but 245rwhp and lots of torque = not good on ice.
            Jeff Boyd
            Dominion Racing
            2001 Mazda MP3 #842

Comment

Yeah... RWD cars are pretty scarse(sp?) here... at least in the winter, they are.
              the BLizzak i think i have some of the highest ratings, (check tirerack.com) and have a lot of good feedback.
              -i've just been reading up on my tires again, to make sure i'm right before i install them.

they're calling for snow by next week.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
              RB springs
              Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
              MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

hey wussup wussup??
                I went to the mazda dealership yesterday, test drove it.. to bad the guy made me go on the highway so i couldnt really test out the handling on local roads. there are 2 things i noticed that seems to be a problem,

1) steering shakes on the highway
                2) the shift stick seems to move around when i full throtle the car.
                like.. moves back and forth up and down...

Has anyone notice that problem.. there are a few things i liked about it..

1) it has a very lil blow off sound that sounds like the supra.. its like that bruu bruuu howel type of sound.. i think its pretty kool.

2) the system is very nice..

3) seats are comfortable.

On the performance wise..
                1) on the highway at 80mph 4th gear around 5500 rpm it took a long time to hit 100. 1st , 2nd, 3rd gears i can feel the turbo, 4th 5th gears it seems like the turbo isnt working anymore..

but the good thing is that the dealer would give me one fore $15,000 yellow.. nice price?? what u guys think..

can i get some feeedback, thanks =)
                TBO

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Freek
                  my brother and i have the Blizzak LM-22.. i just got mine (so i haven't used them), but my brother had them on his P5 last winter.. said it made a WORLD of a difference.
                  I can't wait for snow...

I think there are only 2 models of MSP (please correct me if i'm wrong), the 2003 and 2003.5
                  I have had LM22s on my car both winters now and when it snows they absolutely kick butt, when it is dry they are still good enough to drive around like a complete nut job.
                  --JJB--
                  '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
                  Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
                  16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
                  15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
                  Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

Originally posted by AzNmaZdaSpeeDz
                    2) the shift stick seems to move around when i full throtle the car.
                    like.. moves back and forth up and down...
                    I don't think that it is a problem, it is likely due to the direct mechanical linkage that is used (instead of a cable linkage).

but the good thing is that the dealer would give me one fore $15,000 yellow.. nice price??/
                    that sounds like a really good price for an MSP to me!
                    --JJB--
                    '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
                    Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
                    16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
                    15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
                    Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

how much do u think i can sell those Racing Hart rims for? cuz i dont really like them.. If anyone wants them, give me offers.. im planning to get the car within 3 weeks.
                      TBO

Comment

The steering wheel shake is probably a wheel out of balance.

And the shifter moving is normal.

~HH

Comment

Originally posted by AzNmaZdaSpeeDz

On the performance wise..
                          1) on the highway at 80mph 4th gear around 5500 rpm it took a long time to hit 100. 1st , 2nd, 3rd gears i can feel the turbo, 4th 5th gears it seems like the turbo isnt working anymore..

can i get some feeedback, thanks =)
                          I don't know why you think that it doesn't pull hard up high. My car flies after 80(all stock), I got to 127 really fast....I don't make a habit of going that fast, but I wanted to know what it could do, and it had a lot of room to go, unless it has a governor.
                          03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege

MAM Built Block, Microtech EMS on the way

HiBoost FMIC--Greddy Profec-B SpecII--AWR Front Mount, RR-inserts in rear--Injen SRI--PLX Wideband

88 MX6 LX-Turbo - DEAD

Comment

i think the car i test drove got some problems..

And whats the difference between the 3 and the 3.5 mazdaspeed? so i know i'll go to the dealer and get the correct one.
                            Right now its at 6psi correct? whats the max psi i can go that is safe and wont damage anything? im thinking of FRONT mount intercooler and set boost at 10psi, is that good enough or is that still too low?
                            TBO

Comment

with the FMIC and changing the boost levels you WILL be voiding your warranty.

and how much do you want for the rims? my racing harts are chewed to ehll unfortuneately.
                              Jeff Boyd
                              Dominion Racing
                              2001 Mazda MP3 #842

Comment

Working...
                              X