First autocross in the Prot...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First autocross in the Prot...

After running a CSP Miata for a couple years I was expecting to be horribly disappointed by the Protege.

Well yeah I was

Ran with some second-hand R3S04's and took first in H-Stock, (barely) edging out a Protege ES with a pretty nice setup. My co-driver placed third. The R3S04's took a couple runs to warm up.

Wheelspin was terrible. We're going to try a lot more air pressure in the back for the next race. An alignment will help a little as well.

I need to learn how to drive a FWD car again
    Last edited by Hraefn; 09-20-2005, 09:00 AM.
    2003 Protege LX • HomepageClemson SCC

Originally posted by Hraefn
    After running a CSP Miata for a couple years I was expecting to be horribly disappointed by the Protege.

Well yeah I was

Ran with some second-hand R3S04's and took first in H-Stock, (barely) edging out a Protege ES with a pretty nice setup. My co-driver placed third. The R3S04's took a couple runs to warm up.

Wheelspin was terrible. We're going to try a lot more air pressure in the back for the next race. An alignment will help a little as well.

I need to learn how to drive a FWD car again
    lol, congrats.

Why stop racing the miata?
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

hehehe, just remember, with a FWD in an oversteer situation, keep your foot in it

when i drive RWD, i always forget that the first time, then the car quickly reminds me...i'm RWD stupid!

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
        hehehe, just remember, with a FWD in an oversteer situation, keep your foot in it

when i drive RWD, i always forget that the first time, then the car quickly reminds me...i'm RWD stupid!

Yeah my car pulls through turns better under throttle even when starting to oversteer as well!
        **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
        95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Originally posted by D323
          Why stop racing the miata?
          Needed something more practical, especially since we want to start a family in a couple years. Cheaper insurance (for a car that is 9 years newer), better crash protection and better gas mileage.

Never really had the time to chase regional championships. Driving a CSP Miata (with "mild" 400lb springs) to work every day blows the big donkey. Not to mention no air conditioning.

For what it's worth my co-driver is building a SMII second-gen RX7

Oh and I bought a motorcycle so I'm not toyless
          Last edited by Hraefn; 09-21-2005, 09:00 AM.

Comment

SM2 is a tough class. I finally get to run the CRX again, it's back up and running with and extra 25whp to boot

I can attest, 500lb springs on a daily driver is the suXor!

Comment

lol, good that you got to keep some toys.

Will you get to do many runs in the RX-7?

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                Will you get to do many runs in the RX-7?
                Yeah, but it probably won't be done until at least spring. For now we're going to push my Protege around at SCCA events and maybe race his 1st-gen Protege at the local Clemson events, since my 15" race wheels bolt right up and the NASA rules that Clemson uses are much more flexible.

Comment

Little update. Got the PAX results back. I placed 3rd out of 63 entries behind an A-Stock Evo and an insane STX Impreza. Both drivers are top-notch.

I think I'm going to like this little car. We'll see how I do against some more competition later this month.

Comment

cool, good job man!

Comment

Little update. Got the PAX results back. I placed 3rd out of 63 entries behind an A-Stock Evo and an insane STX Impreza. Both drivers are top-notch.

I think I'm going to like this little car. We'll see how I do against some more competition later this month.

congrats d00d.

Comment

Steven Rankins in the STX Impreza 2.5 RS?
                        "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                        -93 MR2, 129 ES
                        ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                        Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                          Steven Rankins in the STX Impreza 2.5 RS?
                          Yeah, looks like he placed 4th at Nationals this year. Dude's fast.

Comment

sure is... Steve's a really cool guy too. Ended up caravanning back from Nationals with him from mid-Missouri to North Carolina. I met him back in 2002, when we first both started doing National events, and we were both in STS in way underprepped cars. Mine being my old 92 LX Protege, him in a Subaru Legacy GT.

page 8 has the STS results.
                            Last edited by JesseSays; 10-10-2005, 01:51 PM.
                            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                            -93 MR2, 129 ES
                            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Working...
                            X