Trim panel around stereo and HVAC controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trim panel around stereo and HVAC controls

I'm going to be installing a new stereo in my '03 Pro LX. I have one question though. Does the trim panel around the stereo and the HVAC controls just snap off, or is there a more elaborate way of taking it off. I haven't tried yet because I'm afraid I'll break it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much!
    2003 Protege LX 5-speed

you don't need to remove the trim panel look in the sticky at the top of the audio section for info on removing your HU. if you do feel the need to remove the trim panel, you'll need to disconnect the HVAC controls and cables. the vent position cable is just forward and to the right of the drivers right leg. the temp cable is just to the left and forward of the glove box, which needs to be removed. do that by opening it, squeezing the top area that is holding it in, and lower the compartment. then pull the drivers side out, and slide to the left, and it's removed then behind the glove box you will also have to undo the fresh air control cable, which is to the right and forward of the glove box. once all 3 are removed, the trim panel is removed by turning the center vents all the way down, and pulling on it. once you get it out, you'll need to disconnect 4 or 5 plugs for the HVAC, and one for the harard lights

Comment

but do yourself a favor, if you don't remove the trim panel make sure you mask it off! I was being careful and still managed to nick the plastic when putting the head unit in! it's a small scratch, but every time I see it I get pissed off
      Last edited by JJB; 10-22-2003, 07:13 PM.
      --JJB--
      '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
      Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
      16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
      15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
      Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

Originally posted by JJB
        but do yourself a favor, if you don't remove the trim panel make sure you mask it off! I was being careful and still managed to nick the plastic when putting the head unit it! it's a small scratch, but every time I see it I get pissed off

ah yes, very good point i always seem to forget about it course my '99 doesn't have as nice of a center trim

Comment

I took the easy costly route and had the guy at circuit city do it. He did a good job too, especially with the custom XM receiver mount.
          My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
          JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
          AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Working...
          X