Annoying rattling. Drivers side rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoying rattling. Drivers side rear

It is a muffled rattling sound coming from the driver's side rear wheel area.
    At first I thought it might be a strut mount, but I'm now having my doubts, since it is very consistent in both volume and sound wether over a big bump or small one, basically the only difference would be if it was a big bump it would rattle a bunch of times as opposed to a couple for a small one. I have yet to take off the wheel and look for anything that mgiht be loose and causing the problem, I've been so busy for the last several weeks its just not been possible, though I have some time tomorrow so I'll have a chance to check it out.
    I need suggestions NOW DAMMIT!!!!!!
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

quickly jack up the rear of the car and lift the rear wheel with your hands and drop it (compressing the strut and releasing it)

thats a quick way to check if the struts blown... if it is, it'll hop up and down when you release it
    a properly working one would be dampened to the point where it just drops... thats it

Comment

I just dealt with something that sounds similar this morning... turns out the pins that hold the brake pad to the calipers were sliding out. Don't know exactly what your situation is like but you might check that.

Comment

I think you should look first and if you don't find what's going on easily, THEN we can all start brainstorming.

Comment

Nothing loose, I'd say its a blown strut.
          There is oil everywhere around it.
          Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
            Nothing loose, I'd say its a blown strut.
            There is oil everywhere around it.
            That's what it sounds like. Check your master cylinder, though, just in case it's brake fluid from the brake system and not from the strut. It's probably the strut, though.

Comment

Aye, I'm sure its strut oil.I could tell its not brake fluid by the smell/feel etc.. of it.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                Aye, I'm sure its strut oil.I could tell its not brake fluid by the smell/feel etc.. of it.
                Don't you just love when it works out like that? It's going to be an easy fix. Usually the hardest part of fixing something is finding out what's causing the problem. Yea! Yea! (As in hooray, not yeah)

Comment

Working...
                X