Mazda Halts Sales, Production of Mazda5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazda Halts Sales, Production of Mazda5

Not sure if you guys saw this in the news or not.

Mazda5 article
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

(didn't look at the article posted)

Yeah we had to stop sales and get the 6 or 7 people that bought thier 5s at my dealership back in and put them in MPV loaner cars. From what I've heard the exhaust system can overheat and catch fire. I didn't think the exhaust was much different than the 3s' but evidently it's got the problem.

We evidently can't even let people test-drive the 5 anymore. We had to take the 5 we had in the showroom out because people were wanting to buy them after seeing the car and we can't help them.

It's a crappy situation.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

read some of the others on there about the sunfoor falling in?

Hopefully its just a small fix like a heat sheild or something.
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

the sunroof problem was on the new cadillacs.

Is it strange to anyone else that a MUFFLER would hold heat and catch fire? I would've suspected something closer to the engine and hotter like a catalytic convertor to blaze up LONG before a muffler.

Comment

not if its shooting flames from all the powa it makes.

Comment

Yeah, if it shot flames like backfiring I think more people would buy it.

Then again you'd have some lady say "But the flames could hurt my children!" and then it would be recalled anyway.

I wonder how many people got thier exhaust to actually catch the bumper on fire. It was prolly 1 person.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid
              Then again you'd have some lady say "But the flames could hurt my children!" and then it would be recalled anyway.
              Driving in general can hurt her driving when shes distracted by her kids and or a cell phone like most dumb accidents!
              **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
              95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                Hopefully its just a small fix like a heat sheild or something.
                So the heat shield above my cat conveter was rattling to **** and back, because one of the clamps holding it on had broken off, so instead of replacing the clamp, i took the entire cat heatshield off, thats not gonna be a "fire hazard" problem is it?
                Joe H
                2000 Chevy Impala
                3400 3.4 Liter V6
                Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
                U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
                Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

Comment

Depends on what's above it. I took the heat shield off the converter pipe when I made it a test pipe, but above it is just the bottom of the firewall and nothing flamable.

If you had a fuel line or something that went above the exhaust above a head shield and you took the shield off, that could create a problem.

Comment

If you had a fuel line or something that went above the exhaust above a head shield and you took the shield off, that could create a problem.
                    Yeah, ide be the biggest flamethrower going down the highway
                    Joe H
                    2000 Chevy Impala
                    3400 3.4 Liter V6
                    Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
                    U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
                    Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

Comment

As he said depends whats there....

Most cars just have that rubber crap under there, and the heat sheild above the cat is to help keep heat from getting into the interior of the car from around the shifter. If you dont mind a little more heat shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Well my test pipe is very close to the base of my shifter and I don't notice any heat difference in it. Don't know...I thought it would get hot or something but it doesn't change temps.

Comment

Well my test pipe is very close to the base of my shifter and I don't notice any heat difference in it. Don't know...I thought it would get hot or something but it doesn't change temps.
                          Any sort of disruption in the flow of the gasses will cause an increased temperature in that area. A cat has alot of disruption, where as a test pipe has little to none, hence why you wouldn't notice any change in the temperature.

Comment

I did a recall on the mazda5 today . Replaced the main silencer(muffler), main silencer heat shield and the front exhaust heat shield . Also required flashing the PCM .
                            98 protege lx 1.8l
                            short ram intake custom
                            crane hi-6 ign.
                            14 miata alloy wheels
                            .50 over pistons and some other tricks .

my protege

Comment

My mom is getting a 5 and she has to wait because of the recal, she heard from the dealer that someone drove it on they highway in 2nd gear and it caught fire, you'd think that the ****ing moron would realize that 6000rpm is not normal at 100km/h.

Comment

Working...
                              X