1995 Protege S (B8) vs 2000+ Toyota Celica GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1995 Protege S (B8) vs 2000+ Toyota Celica GT

I'm only bothering to post this one because the results were kind of surprising, to me anyway

I was driving on our cross town arterial late at night (4 lanes, 2 both ways) and I happened to pass said Celica GT. I didn't think anything of it, but I saw that after a km or so he was keeping up with me. Still didn't think much of it, but then a (lol) Toyota Echo flys by me doing almost double the speed limit (they can go that fast?). So the Echo and I got to a red where there's a 3rd lane for merging some 100m or so down the road and I figured, hey it's late, no traffic, I'll give him a run up the road for ****s and giggles. At this point the Celica catches up and gets in the merge lane, I guess attempting to show off the awesome power of 2 doors. I knew at least one of them was going to jump on it, so I revved to 3500 and dropped on the green. I pulled an instant car length on them both (both automatics I'm assuming, because the only tires I heard were mine), into 3rd and cutting it off at 120 km/h, the Celica couldn't make up an inch and ended up merging a half car behind me. The Echo was a distant 3rd at this point, but who cares about the Echo really. lol

Because it was so close it was definitely a drivers race. If I'd launched at idle or if the Celica had brake boosted, it may have kept at my side or even passed me, but a win is a win, and on this night a stock 4DR SOHC first gen Protege with 104HP, 111ft/lb of torque and a 5 speed manual > 2DR DOHC Celica with 140HP, 125 ft/lb of torque and a 4 speed automatic.

Cliff notes: In a 3 way run, a 1995 Protege S (B8) 5 speed narrowly beats a 2000+ Toyota Celica GT automatic, with a 2000+ Toyota Echo automatic coming in a distant 3rd.

What's a Protege S? You mean SE? The pic in your sig is of a 90-94 Protege btw.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Originally posted by Marc93lx
      What's a Protege S? You mean SE? The pic in your sig is of a 90-94 Protege btw.
      In Canada leftover 1994 B8's were rebadged as the 'S' model and sold in 1995.

Yeah, the pic is of my former '93 DX automatic. Haven't gotten a chance to take a pic of the '95 yet. Pretty much looks exactly the same. lol

Comment

haha thats awesome

idk wtf is wrong with toyota but they make some of the slowest cars ever
        1997 U-13 Nissan Altima

Comment

nice job mang. I dislike most celicas in general.
          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Working...
          X