Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help with my system, so confused.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help with my system, so confused.

Ok so I got a lil bit of a problem here. So I got a 02 Protege 5 with a alpine 1000 watt amp with 2 10" 450 watt subs. A 2 farad cap and a optima red top battery. I got a couple lighting accessories, but nothing to outragous. I got the typical xenon headlight bulbs and some strobes. But the strobes hardly ever come on. But every time I turn the car off and just listen to some music, even with the music down and the subs almost completely off. The next time i turn the car on, my alternator squirls like its getting murdered or something. And I dont understand why?? There cant be that much wattage coming from the bulbs. You would think that a optima battery, and a 2 farad cap would be able to handle the 1000 watts thats being thrown at it. To my understanding the cap can handle 2,000 watts. And if only 1000 of those watts are being used from it, then whats the deal?? I can understand if i have my strobes, my subs up all the way and my headlights on with the car not on. I can understand that. But Ill have nothing on but the music and still get the alternator squirl. So any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Later.

Squirl??? Do you mean a whinning sound coming through your speakers? or do you mean your alternator squeels when you start your engine?? The first issue can be solved by checking your ground connections and making sure their clean. The second issue can be solved by getting your alternator belt replaced or re-adjusted to prevent it from slipping (squeeling) when you start the engine.
    Kevin

Comment

d loc,
      Did you check to see if your RCA cables and Power wire are not running parallel with each other at any point. That was the reason I was getting problems with my system. If they were to cross, I would make sure to run perpendicular with each other.

Good Luck.

Comment

Shred, no offense, but your post made as much sense as d_roc's. Guys, be clear and concise. Shred.. how exactly do you run wires perpendicular in a car to avoid signal noise? Just my $.02 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by shred
          d loc,
          Did you check to see if your RCA cables and Power wire are not running parallel with each other at any point. That was the reason I was getting problems with my system. If they were to cross, I would make sure to run perpendicular with each other.

Good Luck.

you could braid decent RCAs along with the power cable and have no induced noise through the RCA's. you are more likely to pick up noise through the chassis than the 12+ cable.

Comment

yeah i did mean squeel, sorry extremely tired last night and wasnt thinking. And not really when I turn the car on, but more or less when i put the car in reverse or drive, its an auto. Its not the subs or the speakers that are making noise. Those are perfect. Its just the alternator that squeels. maybe I should just get a bigger farad cap and see what that does. Cause the alternator belt looks to be brand new. Ill keep everyone informed, and thanks for the replies.

Comment

The squeeling is your alternator belt slipping (shifting into gear in an auto lowers your rpm's, thus why it squeels when you shift into gear). You have the correct power source, you have your wiring situated and everything. My suggestion to you is try applying a small amount of belt dressing and see if the problem stops. Your belt is slipping, new or not. Your belt needs to be retensioned. Also, your 2 Farad Cap only adds additional strain to your alternator. Try taking it out of the loop and see if you still get the noise. I don't know that it'd help or hurt your squeeling, but it will do just the opposite of what you're intending: Saving your alternator. Your redtop has enough power reserve in my opinion to negate the need for an additional battery/cap.
              Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
                Shred, no offense, but your post made as much sense as d_roc's. Guys, be clear and concise. Shred.. how exactly do you run wires perpendicular in a car to avoid signal noise? Just my $.02 cents.
                I guess I should of said, if the two sets of wires (RCA and power) were running together and touching each other, I was getting alternator feedback. However, when I ran the wires further away from each other, let's say, two feet from each other, I stopped getting feedback. If, at any point, the wires were to happen to cross each other, it is important to have the wires cross in a perpendicular angle (visual example = +) in order to allow the least amount of feedback to possibly take place.

I had Best Buy install my stereo and they ran them this way. I had to fix up their screwup myself because I couldn't stand being without my car for 10 hours.

I read in an earlier thread 5/31/2004 (whadup wit da year?), I believe from Kevin, that this is the way to rid the car of alternator feedback. That is, if the wires were running too close to each other.

Comment

Originally posted by shred
                  I guess I should of said, if the two sets of wires (RCA and power) were running together and touching each other, I was getting alternator feedback. However, when I ran the wires further away from each other, let's say, two feet from each other, I stopped getting feedback. If, at any point, the wires were to happen to cross each other, it is important to have the wires cross in a perpendicular angle (visual example = +) in order to allow the least amount of feedback to possibly take place.

I had Best Buy install my stereo and they ran them this way. I had to fix up their screwup myself because I couldn't stand being without my car for 10 hours.

I read in an earlier thread 5/31/2004 (whadup wit da year?), I believe from Kevin, that this is the way to rid the car of alternator feedback. That is, if the wires were running too close to each other.
                  Yes, you'd probably be quoting me accurately by my suggestion that you could induce signal noise by running your power and rca signal cables on the same side of the car. Brian (Blue_Ledz) has since suggested that this may infact not be true. Never the less, I still run my rca's and power wires on opposite sides just for peace of mind if anything. It's just I've never heard of someone running wires perpendicular in a car, I just can't visualize that. Parallel, I understand perfectly. So in that reguard, I did stand to correct myself, but I'm not going hunting around for my old threads and ammending what I MAY have said in the past. My appologies.
                  Kevin

Comment

i've only found that the cheap **** RCA's will allow for induced noise when running next to the power cable. a decent set should have enough shielding, which in addition to lower impedance RCA outputs and higher voltage outputs, covers up any induced noise well enough. if you have less than 2 volt RCA's, or a crappy HU that doesn't have low impedance output (most all nowadays have low impedance), then run a decent set of RCA's on the opposite side of the car. but be advised that the chassis can still induce noise into the RCA's, which is a damn good reason not to use cheap ones.

Comment

I seriously doubt a '02 Pr5 is already having belt issues..
                      Where do you live so maybe one of could drop by and see whats goin on?

-Dean
                      'I did nothing... I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!?'
                      -Dean
                      2003.5 Vivid Yellow Protege5

Mods:
                      18" G-Racing Kirins - hyper black
                      Eibach Pro-Line lowering springs
                      MazdaSpeed Axelback Exhaust
                      Injen CAI - Polished
                      Tinted windows. Llumar 35front 2&hatch glass/25middle roll down glass/18backside4
                      DaveB trim rings
                      Painted Calipers - G2

Stereo:
                      Alpine CVA-1005 - 6.5" LCD Reciever.
                      Alpine DVA-5210 - DVD/WMA/CD/MP3 Player
                      Alpine ERA-G320 - EQ/Surround processor.
                      Kicker IX-405D 5 Channel Amp
                      Kicker 12" L5's in bandpass enclosure (2 of them)
                      Kicker K-57.2 Components up front
                      Kicker K-65 in back.

Future Mods?

Turbo?

Comment

Originally posted by DeanSweetP5
                        I seriously doubt a '02 Pr5 is already having belt issues..
                        Where do you live so maybe one of could drop by and see whats goin on?

-Dean
                        An '02? While the belt may 'look new', aren't you supposed to change your belts every 15,000? At least thats what I do on my cars. And even at an '02, there's plenty of mileage potential on that car to develop belt issues.
                        Kevin

Comment

Working...
                        X