sun/moonroof install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sun/moonroof install

OK, I'm sure this question's been asked before, but I couldn't find it so I'll ask anyway...

How difficult or possible is it to install a sunroof or moonroof in a car that doesn't have one? I think that's the only thing my car was missing stock, and I love them. I wouldn't do it anytime in the near future, I just wonder if it's even something to think about.

I think there are a few people on here who have had them installed. They said they were happy with them. If you get one just make sure it has a lifetime warrenty. I think they cost a lot though. Around 800+ dollars.

I am going to have to start researching them since my sister wants one in her new Prius.
    02 Protege ES

Comment

800+ installed, or just for the part?

Comment

I've usually seen about $800-$1000 installed, but I don't believe in aftermarket sunroofs. 10 years down the line when they usually start leaking the company isn't around anymore to be found, even though you have a lifetime warranty. They have to cut into the top of your car to put in the sunroof, and unlike factory sunroof cars they do not try to stiffen the chassis in other places. If you ever sit in a factory sunroof car you will notice there is less headroom compared to others. This is because to make up for the big hole in the roof -- there is a lot more roof support in other places.
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I installed one myself, years ago, in my old VW Golf. It was just a flip up/removable one; it didn't retract or anything. It wasn't hard. The worst part was working up the guts to fire up the jigsaw--after that, it went in really smooth. Never leaked a drop. The only other thing I had to do was to make a wind deflector for it out of a piece of aluminum, because there was a ton of wind noise with it removed. And I didn't notice any loss of strength in the roof, but maybe it varies with different cars.
          If I remember right the sunroof was about $200, but that was 10 years ago.
          ~Mark.
          2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

I was scared enough drilling holes in my trunk so I could install my spoiler... I don't know if I'd trust myself to do the work. About the support, though, the 3rd gens supposedly have a nice cross beam support system in the roof. Wouldn't it work to just set the sunroof in between those beams? That should take care of any safety issues, cause it wouldn't be changing the original setup.

Comment

Isn't the main reason for loss of headroom just that the roof needs a place to go when it retracts?

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                Isn't the main reason for loss of headroom just that the roof needs a place to go when it retracts?
                I was also thinking this. Although not all sunroofs go between the roof and the headliner when opened. Some open and go outside. They might not have a loss in headroom though.

You would think that when the designed the cars they would make it so the roof reinforcement wasn't where the sunroof would go. That way they would only need one design for cars with and without sunroofs.
                02 Protege ES

Comment

I've got one - and have zero regrets.

It's made by SolAir - this is a very reputable company in the industry, and I have no worries about them "not being around" if I need service.

The roof functions exactly like the factory P5 roof - it slides back INTO the headliner (which is why the interior roof is lower), and also has a tilt function.

There's also the sliding cover inside (also slides back into the headliner) so I can have just the light shining in with the roof closed. The dome light has been relocated behind the roof opening.

In certain ways, my roof is BETTER than factory. The switch is one-touch - no holding buttons to open or close it. The switch is also a great piece itself - it sits in the "dead" switch space near the little coin holder by the driver's left knee, and looks near-factory.

The best feature is that it AUTO closes after I shut the car off. About 10 seconds after turning off the engine, the roof closes itself. And for those same 10 seconds or so, I can override the closing and re-open it. I KNOW this has saved me from plenty of rainstorms, as I was the guy who always forgot to close the convertible top on my Miata . My interior would have taken a few soakings by now, for sure.

I had mine installed before ever taking delivery of the car - the dealer arranged it. They were going to charge me the same $800 that they charge for the factory unit, but after a little haggling I got them to throw it in for dealer cost, which was a shade over $500, I think.

The ONLY downside I can speak of is there seems to be a touch more wind noise than with a factory unit. Since the roof panel is molded and pre-fabricated when the moonroof is factory installed, it sits a bit more flush with the roof itself. Mine, being aftermarket, doesn't sit quite as flush with the car roof, so there's a "lip" that seems to make some wind noise. One of these days I'll buy a generic deflector and see how that goes (the genuine Mazda deflector does NOT fit on aftermarket mooroofs). It's only really noticeable with the solar shade open.

I'd highly recommend the unit I have. The fit, finish, and function are top-notch in every respect. Be sure to find the BEST installer you can for this. I wasn't worried since the dealer was having mine done for me (it'd be heavy grief for them if the installers ****ed up the car), but if you're out there on your own, don't skimp to save a few bucks. If the best shop costs a little more, it's worth it - this is not something you want to have done half-assed. And in no way would I recommend doing this yourself.

I'd expect to pay about $800 USD for the moonroof installed.

Hope this helps - good luck!

~HH

Comment

Sounds pretty good. I wouldn't do this myself, I don't trust myself not to screw it up.

Does SolAire have a web page? I searched around and all I could find was some other company that had them for sale, but really had very little info about the products themselves.

Comment

if you do get one, I strongly suggest getting a tinted one, as when the slide cover is open, the sun can come down right in your face. You can always tint it when/if you do your whole car.
                      My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                      JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                      AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Yeah, I had one before that was tinted and it was so much easier to deal with when it was closed than when there was no glass blocking the light. I'll probably get one that's not tinted, though, so I can get it done the same color as the rest of the car. I'm sure I'll be tinting the windows before I get a roof installed, so I have plenty of time to figure it all out.

Comment

Working...
                        X