Rally Protege: Officially Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rally Protege: Officially Dead

Well folks, the Rally Protege is no more.

Short Version:

Good News: Everyone's fine. No injuries to speak of. Very minor neck soreness the morning after for myself. Everything but the rollcage and car shell was salvagable.

Bad News: I crashed the Protege and extracting it damaged it more than the body shell was worth.

Long Version:
    Just over two weeks ago I drove from MN to Colorado to compete in the Colorado Cog Rally. Stage one went fine. I ended up in 2nd place in G2 taking it a little slower to let my Dad get used to reading notes.

The second stage started off well. I noticed that most of the time there was amazing amounts of grip on these roads. They are nothing like the gravel/sand roads of Minnesota. The surface is a hard-packed clay with loose gravel on the top. After the front runners go past, the surface is swept and I could cruise.

4-5 miles into stage 2, I came upto a slight right that tightened over a crest. I let the backend go into the loose gravel and it let loose into a slide. I turned into it to try to regain control. The massive grip difference between the front and back wheels whipped the backend back the other way. I steered back again but by this point I had pretty much lost control of the car.

I flew over a ditch, sideways, then hit a rock. That launched me into a deep, steep ditch. After that the car rolled over like a good little dog. The time between initial slide to being upside-down in the ditch was about 6 seconds.

I looked at my dad, confirmed we were both OK and then proceeded to get out of my car. The panel in front of the driver's side door had been pushed under that of the door. Thus, getting the door open required me to bend the sheet metal. It would not very difficult under normal circumstances to do this. However, from a seated position, with one hand versus gravity and the strength of the metal... it wasn't too easy.

Amazingly, the car didn't look too bad the way it sat. The windshield had webbed slightly, but other than that, no windows broke. The right-front wheel and attached suspension parts (control arm, tie rod etc) had been ripped off. The trunk also was crushed during the rollover.

All the problems were in getting it back out of the ditch. The tow truck (only with one working winch) had to drag the car up and out of the ditch on its roof. This broke the back window, tore off the roof scoop and dented the roof. Then upon rolling it back onto its wheels, the passenger window broke.

Needless to say, the images of the aftermath were much worse than the car looked in the ditch.

The tech inspector came to view the car after the accident. He said that the cage itself didn't deform at all. If we hadn't incurred all the sheet metal and glass damage, he'd have let us race the second day.

So, I drove 1,000 miles to compete a scant 8 miles out of the 100 mile route. Rally definitely is not a sport for those that take disappointment poorly.

Now it's back to the drawing board. At least a clubprotege member will get to take advantage of the struts Dave (cablemirc) found for me. They survived the roll even with one getting ripped straight through the top mount.

Lessons learned:
    1) I cannot race in Colorado like I had in Minnesota. The road surfaces are just too different.
    2) Beware of deep ditches.
    3) Don't skimp on safety equipment.

-Ben

P.S. If I get off my ass, I'll probably post a quick in-car video of it
    Attached Files

Damn that sux,
    Last edited by photoeye0; 10-05-2005, 09:52 AM.

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
    98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

damn that sucks. looks like that rollcage did it's job.

Comment

Yeah it sucks. Glad you're safe.

Comment

Damn!

I'm going to triple check the welds in the rally gt!!!

PS If you need to part anything out to recover some funds, let me know, I may be able to help...

-dk9

Comment

Glad to see your ok, I guess you kinda know this is gonna happen every once and awhile. Its just how you learn. I hope it doesnt scare you away from racing. If you build another are you gonna get a 323?

Comment

damn man, glad your ok.
              proud owner of a 13lb 5 ounce porker baby boy. no longer the proud owner of the car below, it now belongs to 95pro.

Comment

Bummer dude. Glad you both walked away.

Comment

really sucks mang.

Glad that everyone is ok.
                  The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by itzkcatz
                    Yeah. I'm probably going to move out of the protege, at least the older ones. As much fun as the LX was, I think I may move to something newer with more rally support. I'm not necessarily moving out of the Mazdas, but we'll see where I end up. There was always something cool about driving something no one else was.

I'd think about something like the GTX, but with such a limited US run and the cars being so old, it makes it tough. Something like a Mazdaspeed Pro isn't out of the question, but who knows. The way things are looking, I probably won't have one until January or Febuary considering how low on cash I am.

Comment

Originally posted by 90LXRally
                      Yeah. I'm probably going to move out of the protege, at least the older ones. As much fun as the LX was, I think I may move to something newer with more rally support. I'm not necessarily moving out of the Mazdas, but we'll see where I end up. There was always something cool about driving something no one else was.

I'd think about something like the GTX, but with such a limited US run and the cars being so old, it makes it tough. Something like a Mazdaspeed Pro isn't out of the question, but who knows. The way things are looking, I probably won't have one until January or Febuary considering how low on cash I am.

lol, go with a MSP, they already have the mad rallye height stock
                      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Looks like the same ditch that Ron Nelson rolled his Evo 7 into last year at that rally.... Man I wish that I could have been in steamboat for that race.....

Comment

Those roads look like what I would race on in Idaho. Once you learn the conditions, they are extremely fun to race on. Good luck w/ your next project. Just tell your insurance company you went inside and when you can out thats what it looked like.
                          Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

glad to hear ur ok... sad to hear you didnt get to finish the comp
                            on the plus side though, its a learning experience... and you always got some cool pics and footage

Comment

Working...
                            X