Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another question about wiring harnesses

Hey everyone,
    I can't express how much I appreciate everyone's help on this forum. You all have been great!
    Okay, I've decided just to take out the factory 6-disc changer and put in my Pioneer DEH P3300 headunit and XM tuner. It's going to be a lot cheaper, sound better and look a lot better than getting the Delphi XM unit to work with the factory unit. Okay, so here's the question: I've read stuff about a V-Drive amplifier and having to make sure it's wired correctly or the car will blow up . . . and that you may need a different wiring harness for cars with the 6-disc changer? Is this anything I'm going to need to worry about, or will I be able to just get the harness, connect it, and go?
    2003 Protege LX 5-speed

you can just get the normal mazda protege 99+ wiring harness. the alpine v-drive HU require alot bigger power wire than what is on the harness due to the high power rating of the headunit. but for everything else, your fine.
    '02 classic red p5
    currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

You will want the harness for a 2002+ Protege/Protege5. They are different than the 99+ harnesses. Scosche MA03 I believe will be the one you need.

Comment

you'll also want to ground the HU directly to something metal behind the dash. a lot of noise can be introduced through the stock on. i don't know how the protege's are, since i've always had a different ground, though. but many other cars that is the source of noise in their systems

Comment

Yeah, I had a separate ground when I had the stereo installed in my Dodge Stratus, too. That's the only way to go, I think. Well, I think I've pretty much got everything set, except the wiring harness, which I'll buy this weekend. I've been shopping around for mounting kits for the last two weeks, and I haven't found one that I've liked, so I ended up just paying the $77.00 for the actual Mazda pocket. It looks better, and will fit better than any other kit anyway.
          2003 Protege LX 5-speed

Comment

Working...
          X